question

alan-w avatar image
alan-w asked

Multiplus 2 shutdown with Rpi4

aeca32e1-f96f-4cfb-a8c2-de23281f4a47.jpegHi I have a multiplus 2 and a 28kwh 48v battery along with ET112 which has operated ok for around 3 weeks. Yesterday the inverter shutdown with just the mains led on ie not inverting. Switching the inverter off and on both ac:dc did not restart it although rebooting the Rpi did. So this now happens around every hour, it is as though anything usb connected is no longer connected to the RPi and so the inverter shuts down. I have reflashed a new sd card but this has not solved the problem. I can still access the Rpi through vrm and reboot which gets it running again but sadly only for around an hour.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @Alan W,

To me this sounds like the grid meter is disconnecting from the raspi, rather than a dodgy raspi. Without the grid meter data in venus os the multiplus doesn't know what to output, so it stops. Therefore my guess is it's unlikely to be the pi and rather just the meter connections to the pi but a few things to check. However i can also see your smart shunt showing as disconnected. Are you using a USB hub? If so maybe try without, a different hub or a different USB port.

Is the Et112 flashing orange and green on the left hand light when plugged into the Raspi. Similarly (if using victron rs485 to USB) is it flashing white? If not then the data is not being sent/received (I expect it isn't based on your description).

I would first try another USB port on pi in case that's the issue and the port is gone (easiest solution first).

Next check the RS485 to USB adapter is plugged into the ET112 correctly. It sounds like a loose connection based on your description given it works for awhile then stops.

Have the RS485 wires come loose from the terminals on ET112, I've struggled a lot in small distribution boards to get those tiny wires in. And have had them come loose in the past. ALso check they haven't snapped off, if you're using thin RJ45/ethernet wire they can be so thin that they snap leaving just a small contact area. (This conenction is what i suspect is the issue).

Finally, disconnect power to the ET112 wait for all the lights to turn off, count to 30 and turn back on. Might just need a hard reset.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alan-w avatar image
alan-w answered ·

Hi Matt1309 and thanks for your detailed reply. All RS485 connections are utilising boot lace ferrules and so I don’t suspect a contact issue also All usb traffic ceases after the inverter goes to standby and all usb are direct into the Rpi. I now have my suspicions that there is a dry joint on the Rpi, I have removed the Rpi from its housing / heat sink and it is currently suspended from usb cabling and it has not failed in 48hrs. I think the heat sink which is incorporated in the housing applied pressure to the Rpi causing the intermittent failure. I may attempt to reflow solder connections on the Rpi.

2 |3000