question

jesterprime avatar image
jesterprime asked

Do I have what I need to charge my system with a generator?

Hoping to connect my 3k 240v petrol generator to my system to charge the batteries when needed.

Not sure if I already have all I need or if I need to add an extra bit of kit.

List of current kit:

SmartSolar MPPT 150/45 -Tr

Phoenix 24/1200 - Pure sinewave inverter

I also have a Rutland 1200 charge controller for my turbine.

Any and all help appreciated.

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You're missing an AC charger between the generator and battery. But as you have a 3kW generator, you're going to need something beefy. If you haven't bought the Phoenix, consider getting an integrated charger/inverter like the multiplus.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jesterprime avatar image jesterprime commented ·

The current set up has been in use for nearly 2 years so Im looking to add a charger rather than replace a part of it, assuming thats feasible. If not then Id be looking for the cheapest option, any suggestions?

0 Likes 0 ·
ponzoa avatar image
ponzoa answered ·

If the Phoenix 24/1200 gives you enough power for your needs, then look at the battery chargers. If you can do with more power, look at replacing the Phoenix with a Multiplus o Multiplus II. It'll need to be a 24/x model to be in line with your current batteries.
You could also add a GX device such as a Cerbo to interconnect the devices. The GX can be connected to the internet so you can monitor over the VRM portal which is great, and if your genset is ready for it, it can be remotely started and stopped by the GX on settings (state of charge for example) or manually at the push of a button.

2 |3000