question

friaras avatar image
friaras asked

is the Raspbian Firmware required to be installed on a new Raspi 4b before the Venus OS?

Hello, so I would like to install the Venus OS on a new Raspi 4b, do I have to install any other software before installing the Venus OS to the SD card? I have everything else such as the Victron USB cables and the Victron's smart devices, and a new Raspi 4b I also downloaded the Venus OS (v3.0) I think is the latest, and have copied it to the SD card. Beyond that I'm stuck and not sure if I should install the Raspberry OS first. I have search numerous sources but they are not really tailored for beginners such as me. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Venus OSRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Venus OS includes the operating system (Linux). So what you have on the SD card should boot and provide you with a working system.

There are however some things you'll need to do by hand. First, the RPI version of Venus OS ships in "headless" mode. That is, there is no GUI. You need a local touchscreen (DSI or HDMI), or you can bring up the GUI on a web browser by connecting to venus.local when the RPI is connected to your network.

There may be some tweaks to config.txt to accommodate your display, and other environment. You can do these edits by inserting the SD card into a PC or Mac and using it's text editor.

You may also need ssh access which is enabled from the GUI.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

V3 is beta and I would not use unless you know what you are doing!

Please read and follow instructions here

2 |3000

friaras avatar image
friaras answered ·

Thanks for the help! I think I got what's is needed now, in reference to the Os version, thanks for the warning, I did read the instructions, and I'm thinking about installing the earlier version just to try to eliminate any possible hiccups, I will be connecting it to the router via cable, then log in locally, hopefully it will go smoothly,since this is the first time I'll be working with the Raspberry Pi. Thanks again folks!

2 |3000