question

gerd-kauschat avatar image
gerd-kauschat asked

Blue Smart IP67 12V 17A - Strange Behavior

Hi,

I have a Blue Smart IP67 charger, 12V/17A model. Since some time, the charger doesn't really charge. The charger reports that it reached absorption state without charging, if I keep it running, it reports a full charge cycle, reaching "storage" stage. The charger is aware of the actual voltage, which is reported correctly. Resetting the charger to factory defaults didn't help. I think the charger uses the latest firmware version. Screenshots are attached below. Any idea what this is about?

Best regards

Gerd

screenshot1.jpgscreenshot2.jpgscreemshot3.jpg

charger
screenshot1.jpg (46.5 KiB)
screenshot2.jpg (44.6 KiB)
screemshot3.jpg (46.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Gerd Kauschat check the physical condition of your battery. If the sides are bulged then it is dead, ch3ck fluid level too if it is not sealed.

I am assuming you have a lead acid one here. But basically the battery is not taking a charge it is dead.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gerd-kauschat avatar image
gerd-kauschat answered ·

This is a VRLA and it's in good condition, I just used it, which is the reason it has to be recharged. The reason it doesn't take a charge is that the charger doesn't provide the necessary voltage, which should be 14.4V at absorption state. 12.68V (see screenhot 3) is the current open-circuit voltage of the battery, which, as mentioned above, is partly discharged. When it's fully charged, the open-circuit voltage is about 12.9V. This is a Hoppecke solar.bloc, which is a kind of AGM/Gel hybrid, with AGM technology and fixed elextrolyte.

The question is: Why does the charger switch to absorption stage if the absorption voltage is never reached?

I can provide an external measurement which shows that the absorption voltage is never reached, should I do that?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic