question

sharpener avatar image
sharpener asked

What LAN ports does Remote Console require?

Remote Console works OK over VRM but is unreliable over the LAN. Is this because ports other than 80 need to be open? I would prefer to use the LAN to reduce the delays apparent over VRM. Using the debugger in Firefox there seem to be some references to Port 81 which I do not fully understand.

I would also like to use port mapping as a way of accessing Remote Console via the internet for the same reason. Which ports need to be open for this?

I have a Multi II-GX 48/5k running s/w 4.79

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Internet and local traffic uses the same networking stack, if your access via VRM is fine there is no reason to have LAN issues unless your dhcp leases are perhaps short, which can happen on mobile hotsports.

No special ports, it just works.

What version is your GX software? 4.79 is the inverter firmware. The GX should be on 2.90 now.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Thanks, so it only needs Port 80 to function with a normal browser?

It occasionally works on the LAN but I cannot figure out what the exact conditions are for this. Disconnecting and reconnecting the cable should I believe cause the GX to get a new lease but that doesn't fix it.

I have in the past tried mapping 192.168.1.54 (its local address) Port 80 to the WAN but I have never been able to access it over the WAN except via VRM.

I am running 2.90~14 so I can get Node Red but it is not in use atm. It was the same before I upgraded to the Large version so I don't think that has much to do with it.

So I am stuck, it is not mission critical, more a nuisance and frustration at a lack of understanding on my part. Am reluctant to re-boot the GX in case it does something unexpected, especially at night!

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
You sure you meant -14? That was an RC, -24 was GA iirc.

On most linux stacks reseating the cable works, just check you don’t also have wifi enabled as then the one connection becomes a backup and it fails over between them.

0 Likes 0 ·
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

How are you accessing it in your browser, using venus.local?

Check you router, if you have done some mapping of IP addresses then is that causing an issue? Reset everything to standard basic setup.

Also I would update to the released version of 2.90 and not run a beta version.

2 |3000

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

Well, spurred into action by this discussion the problem has fixed itself for the moment!

Yes, it is ~14, evidently that was not the cause.

@Bathnm I am using Firefox to look directly at 192.168.1.54 and as of late last night it works; I can't get your link to venus.local to do anything.

I will try the remote link again when I am away next week.

Thanks for all the replies.

2 |3000