question

Susan avatar image
Susan asked

What generator to buy?

Note: this is for an off grid house, not a boat, so space is not an issue. Our sua4500 generator has died. Since we are in the process of installing a whole new Victron system, we would like to replace it with a generator that is known to be compatible with Victron. What brand and models should we be looking at? We have a Multiplus II 48 3000 volt inverter charger and 2 Fortress eFlex 5.4 kWh 48 volt batteries. Would be nice to set up a relay so we can lush a button or switch to fire up the generator instead of pulling a starter rope. Thank you!

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I would suggest that you make up a list of brands you are looking at. and models. but basically if you stay with the known brands you should be fine. if you go cheap charlie then maybe you will get issues. but more in the backup and support area - or they have gone out of business and spare parts are not avalable.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Junglehouse

Start by making a list of the features you want/prefer. Every one you add will reduce your choices. Let me start you off..

Size.. With that kit, a capability of 3000W+ would be nice. So 5kVA+ would suit if you don't want to be running it long hours.

Starting.. Elec start is great, even if you don't do it on auto. 5kVA needs a hefty pull, and while you may have gorilla arms, maybe others who live there too - don't.

Regulation.. Important. Genuine AVR is good. Inverter is ok, but not often available in the larger sizes. Capacitor reg will voltage-sag when a decent load is applied, and you'll find yourself limiting it's output to protect your loads.

Noise.. Look for a big muffler. Even most open-framers aren't too noisy with a big one.

Quality.. Buy a cheap'n'nasty and you only get so many shots with the elec start. It may be in the hundreds, but when it fails you won't find spares. Then you get like 20 shots with the pull start before the cord breaks, and while you're changing the cord the recoil spring will break too. And I could go on and on with other examples.

Depends what's available in your area. Exotics aren't well served where I live, and my 6kVA Yamaha 'old-faithful' is still giving great service. I'd take a Honda too.

I like to have 2 gensets. I accept donors, fix them up, then test them for awhile. Most end up at the tip, and I have 2x right now awaiting the same fate after neither making it past one winter. Trouble is, I only get Chinee donations. You have one already, best avoid.

2 |3000