question

solomonm avatar image
solomonm asked

BMV 712 with temp sensor-can I cut the temp leads short?

Hi All, New to Victron, RVing and working with batteries. I'm installing a BMV 712 and the ASS000100000 temperature sensor on a 2020 Airstream with two Group 24 AGM batteries and the shunt will be installed in the battery box. The leads for the temp sensor are about 5 feet long but I'll only need about one foot. Can I cut the leads to length, tin the ends of the wires and insert into the connectors on the shunt? or does the sensor need a particular length of wire and resistance to accurately display temperature information. Appreciate your insights as I travel these uncharted waters.

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Yes, this will be fine to do.
You should not eliminate the inline fuse though. Having said that, I think the fuse is within 30cm from the lug, so it'd be retained at the 30cm length.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

It is okay to shorten the cables, and indeed dont cut the fuse off :-)

2 |3000

shaun-mccance avatar image
shaun-mccance answered ·

Adding this for the record as a bit of a wiring aficionado - the cables are terminated with bootlace ferrules. A crimper and box of ferrules are pretty cheap and one of the best wiring investments you can make!

2 |3000