question

nungu-nungu avatar image
nungu-nungu asked

Solar Panel -> MPPT - Battery: can I connect a Powerstation as consumer?

Hi Community / Team / Support,

was checking "Charge a power station directly with smartsolar? " but that did not answer my question. I have a solar panel connecte to the MPPT 75/10 which directly loads the (secondary) battery of my CamperVan. Can I connect a Powerstation (which accepts 12V minimal voltage to load) to the consumer connection?

Will give it a try anyhow - but before I buy/assemble the required cables - any idea

a) does it work at all?

b) which is the preferred consumer (assume direct consumer comes first - then the battery)?

Thanks for any hint

BR Ingo

P.S. just figured out there is a German subsection - lets be international here

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
irothley avatar image
irothley answered ·

Since there are some people following that question - here is what happend: Connected the Powerstation to the MPPT controller's consumer connection. Limited the load to 200W smart load (as soon as I get that app running I could fine-tune). The two 135W panels in line had peaked to the max at almost 50V, So I got a nice 14V > 10A in bright sun

1) it works and loads -> Great

2) simple control by the app to activate and stop the consumer (have not tried any advanced controls, they are all based on Voltage litmits ist seems, options like battery loaded -> give prio to consumer are not there or I was not able to find that .... )

3) the caveat: the consumer has priority over the battery - which makes sense e.g. running a coooler box - BUT when current goes beyond 200W (some clouds passing ;-) the Powerstation continues to draw 200W and starts draining the battery.

So will post another question on how to control that priority (which is for my CamperVan - secondary battery first, Powerstation second).

Hope this was helpful for some os the sucscribers ot this question

BR Ingo

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.