question

carpetpaul avatar image
carpetpaul asked

Sizing a charge controller

Hi guys, hoping you can help. I'm in the process of building my first power wall, whilst I slowly process the cells, I'm trying to learn what I can about the other parts of the system. I was recommended the Victron brand by the dealer who will likely supply me parts for the system when I'm ready. What I (think) I know about my system so far is as follows (please correct me if I'm wrong) I'm building a 24 volt system from 18650's, so 7 modules total, each comprising 144 cells with an average capacity of 1.75amp hours each, that makes 252amp hours per module, at 3.7 volts, that's .9325kWh per module, so about 6.5kWh total

questions as follows :

1, my total battery capacity is correct at 252amp hours ?

2, the intention is to have a load connected to the inverter of a constant 1.6kW - 2.5kW, 24v is ok for this ?

3, For quantity of solar panels, I'm totally confused. One calculation suggested take the size of the panel(1.8952m) x1000(1895.2) x efficiency as decimal 0.26 (390.41) x sun hours6.5 is (2537.67) divide by 1000 is (2.538kWh/day) it didn't ask what direction the roof is facing, nor where I am in the UK (North West England actually).... and this figure somehow sounds particularly high production. Perhaps talking to a local installer, or an owner or two in my local area might help with a better estimate ? how many panels would you guess I would need, (or should start with ?)

4, it would be great to have my battery bank full every day, however I guess that the differences between summer and winter production might have to give me a balance of having not quite enough production in winter, along with probably too much, and a bit of wasted capacity in summer ?

5, an upgradable / adaptable system would probably be the best for me, clearly I can add more cells to my bank, but the controller could do with headroom for the addition of extra panels, giving me the ability to start small and add capacity ? can anyone help with approximate calculation for sizing the controller ?

any help, much appreciated

thanks for reading

Paul

smart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Is there a reason you don’t want to build a 48V system which would be more efficient.

1. Yes

2. What are your batteries specs how do you plan to manage it? For your larger load that is over 100A, can they deliver that? Also consider the cost of wiring rated for those loads vs half that with 48V.

3. Get a pro to help you who can crunch all the numbers accurately for you. This isn't really what this community is for.

4. You can't compensate for bad weather/low light conditions by over-speccing panels, you would need a football field and a huge budget. But more is more, you need to do a cost-benefit analysis to work out if the returns are worthwhile, based on question 3. 252AH is not a lot for the loads you are talking about, especially not at 24V

5. If you plan to grow, go 48V rather. You can scale charge controllers. Most Multis and quattros can be paralleled, just plan for it upfront. Rather use an external cerbo than an integrated GX if you plan to expand. For 2500W a 5kVA MP2 (4kW) or similar would suffice.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

carpetpaul avatar image
carpetpaul answered ·

thanks for your response Nick. I will try to get an expert to help with build, and the calculations to ensure that it works, and more importantly that it's safe, I know the internet can sometimes set people off on the wrong track.

0, 24 volts, mainly because it seems to be common amongst other power wall builders, no reason other than that, I'll probably be using twisted solid copper core for the bus bars, so it'll be dirt cheap anyway, connecting the cells will be with fuse wire. Tell me, would there be a difference in wiring from the solar controller towards the panels ? that's the biggest run obviously

1, well, at least I got something right ? lol

2, Sony VTC4 and 5, although used, they're testing ok, and are high discharge 18650's. again, my maths fail me, but of the total load, I think it's supplied on a module level, split by those 144 separate cells (the rest of the modules just increasing the voltage of the system ?) can you help me with maths to work it to amps per cell ?

3, I will get help, but for now, I'm well ahead of myself, and learning I can do is part of the process, part of the enjoyment of this project, which is really a hobby rather than being financially economical. It certainly isn't time economic, it'll take a long time just to earn back what I've spent in plasters whilst shelling battery packs for the old cells :(

4, Agreed, I know I have 6.5kWh, remains to be seen if I can fill the battery bank with energy in a reasonable period, I fear the cost of panels to do so may be a shock to me,

5, I can go 48v, I'm not at that stage yet, can you decipher the following for me :-

Multi

Quattro

Cerbo

GX

MP2

thanks so much, you're a great help :)

2 |3000

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Paul, I am going to suggest some light reading/viewing for you which will get you up to speed.

First signup here and hit the tutorials

https://professional.victronenergy.com/online-training/

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Wiring-Unlimited-EN.pdf

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/index-en.html

The battery and battery management can make or break a system, if the googled specs are right, you should be ok but these types of packs are outside my comfort zone and hopefully someone help can steer you right. Used cells can be a bit hit and miss, so good luck :)

How are you planning to manage the packs, to prevent imbalances and for safety? In the absence of sense data, you need to consider a shunt.

Multi/MP2/Multiplus 2 is the victron inverter/charger with 1 AC input, the Quattro has 2, specs all online on the site.

Cerbo/GX is the brains that brings the parts together, provides the connectivity and coordinates all the disparate devices - providing remote access and access to VRM cloud portal. So a necessity.

2 |3000

carpetpaul avatar image
carpetpaul answered ·

thank you, looking at those links now

Paul

2 |3000

carpetpaul avatar image
carpetpaul answered ·

I had a quick look at BMS, I've obviously a lot to learn ! It came as a shock, the prices of these BMS for the 'storage size' battery packs, Batrium jumps out, but the cost is 2.5 time that of my cells ! prohibitively expensive ! I'll dive onto a more specific forum to see if people have any suggestions on cost economic ways to solve the BMS, failing that, it's small battery projects from now on

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic