question

testing-pond avatar image
testing-pond asked

50w dump load

Hi I've seen a post here for triggering a dump load which is a function I'd like to use

But I'd also like the controller to power the same terminal when there is not excess energy

In short I'd like the load to be powered by the battery when there is not enough from the panel. And I'd like the controller to skip the battery and dump the load onto the same appliance when there is enough solar to do so and the battery is full

I'm assuming the setting for 'full' is also optional which I'd like to keep at the optimal 80% for storage

Will there be any issues with this? The load is 50w 12v and I can choose the panel and battery to best suit this hopefully the battery can be chosen so that it does not often discharge below 60% for the chosen run time of the appliance

MPPT Controllers
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
It would be good to know what devices you are talking about. What components do you have?
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

It seems to me that the load you are talking about will be used as a normal load, not a dump load. Power from the panel will go through the charge controller to the battery. If this load is connected to the battery, then it will take solar power if sufficient is available, and the remainder from the battery if there is insufficient solar power.

A dump load is used to absorb excess power once the battery is full, and is normally quite a large load. This is used to perform energy intensive tasks like heating water or boosting a fridge / freezer. Hope this helps.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.