question

getyrie avatar image
getyrie asked

Does this look right re solar controller charge into AGM battery bank?

Hi,

I have just had installed a 100/30 MPPT solar controller. I have 3 AGM batteries running in parallel (2x100AH and 1x95AH) Yes ideally should all be same current but the 95AH came with van as auxiliary battery which I specc'd as optopnal extra.

The 2xflexible solar panels are 150w each (obscure make):

vechline.png

At early afternoon peak output as per MPPT was showing:

screenshot-20220621-153711.jpg

With the BMV-700 showing:

screenshot-20220621-153731.jpg

These screenshots were taken when I removed all load from the batteries by turning everything off. The way the panels are wired is that they directly charge all appliances and the battery i.e. I can turn the consumer board off and solar will still power appliances.

So, I'm a bit disappointed thatat peak I am only getting 2.65amps charging batteries - does this look / sound right as 'potentially' I could get 16 amps from the panels - I know you never get that, but is it too much to expect 8amps rather than the not too useful amount Im getting currently?

Thanks.

G.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
getyrie avatar image
getyrie answered ·

Apologies - disregard the first screenshot - that was for the Vechline controller the MPPT replaced. The solar panel specifications are here - please refer to the ES-150 panel:

firefly.png

firefly.png (137.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

With the panels not facing the Sun, you will not get their rated power.

Put some load on the system and see if the charger increases the power.

It might be better to wire the panels in series, like I told you in the other thread. The PV voltage is barely above the battery voltage.

2 |3000

getyrie avatar image
getyrie answered ·

Hi Seb....the panels are in series....I took the van back to the campervan converters to check.

2 |3000