question

lucky70 avatar image
lucky70 asked

Orion Tr 12/12-9 will not start charging.

Dear all.

I have just installed my Orion in my caravan. My intension was to charge the caravan battery from my car while driving.

Input comes from the car, and output is connected to the caravan battery. Remote is jumped.
The converter is set to an output of 14,4 unloaded as per the manual.

When i hook up the car the ON/OFF led is lit. No current flows to the battery.

The only way i can start the Orion is to disconnect the and reconnect the caravan battery while the car is connected..

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thank's in advance.

Paul K

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Is this the smart model? If it is please post a screen shot of your settings, also the battery/charge values the Orion reports.

What do you mean by remote?

What battery is it?

Do you mean disconnect and reconnect second battery, or does 'the' refer to something else?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lucky70 avatar image
lucky70 answered ·

Hi.

My Orion is not the smart type. The battery is a lead acid 70Ah, i also tried a smaller 30 Ah AGM battery with no luck.

By remote i mean the two terminals on the DCDC unit. (H / L).

The only way i can have the DCDC to start charging is when i connect the battery after the unit is hooked up to the car,

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

OK, this has bluetooth, though. Please use victron connect to connect to it, using the app, not the phone to make the connection. Then post screen shots of the chager/battery settings and the engine detect settings

2 |3000

lucky70 avatar image
lucky70 answered ·

I don't think no smart units can connect to Victron Connect.

2 |3000