question

nigelw avatar image
nigelw asked

Multiplus AC Out 1 or 2 in ESS ramp up

I'm looking to install a Multiplus II 48/5000 for a home ESS solution connecting ALL Home circuits to the essential AC out. Not that running everything in a power cut is important as power cuts are extremely rare here but I'm led to believe the ramp up of power provided in power assist is instant when connected to essential loads and slower due to grid rules when connected to non essential AC out.

Im looking to run our home from the battery and solar and only use the grid when exceeding battery and solar output. In theory lots of battery systems do this but in reality most ramp up and down adjusting over periods of up to 20 seconds. Connecting everything to the essential AC out seems to provide the instant power I'm looking for to avoid the grid use in ramping up as loads turn on.

The 4kw continuous output is plenty combined with solar for all our needs.

Is this OK to do despite the collective potential of All circuits being on, exceeding the 50a transfer switch size?

What happens in a power cut if I was in a very rare situation using more than 50a?

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

paulo-m avatar image paulo-m commented ·

Did you test with all the loads on the AC IN for comparison? I have the same multi and I was expecting the ramp up/down to be a lot quicker than it is with the loads on the AC IN. I'm now considering rewiring to the AC OUT because of it but wanted to make sure there is a difference. Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Yes it will run OK, i have set up some houses on one unit same as yours, when a power cut comes it just changes over in split second, Setup inverter as a UPS function, there is no dips or anything. Plus it can be used grid tie if you have a AC grid tied inverter, or run as DC system and have the PV going into a suitable Victron MPPT charger controller to charge your batteries.

The systems i have done are 2x 5kw Muliplus2 in parallel as the client wanted a 10kw system to suit there loads as they were very big houses with all mod cons.

The batteries i usesd were Pylontech 48v 3.5kw.

Also added in a auto genset start system as backup if required.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

20210118_154917_HDR.jpg

20201223_172733.jpg

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nigelw avatar image nigelw commented ·

Thank you. The multiplus does it all, which is what appeals.. Grid tied pv, ups and DC via mppt

0 Likes 0 ·
lifeingalicia avatar image
lifeingalicia answered ·

Hi

1655139581011.png

Slightly overcast but hot day with at least one AC running. I also have large voltage fluctuation so the unit can simply not be kept on an absolute line - mine is 60W grid. In the morning I run scheduled charge to a low SOC - so it is not charging but during scheduled charge the battery is not discharging either. So max grid use on low price. I have also limited the inverter to max 1100W thus a grid peak at 19:00.....

Its a Multi II 48 3Kw Gx with powering one house on Out 1 Grid parallel for a total of two houses. I keep SOC between 40 - 100%...

I always advise non essential or big loads to seperate out to take max adavantage of the ESS capabilities. If you exceed max power the unit goes into alarm and switches off - not really desirable.

Hope it helps

1655139581011.png (43.8 KiB)
2 |3000