question

Anthony Beebe avatar image
Anthony Beebe asked

SmartSolar 100/30 -- Batteries Discharging with 200+ Watts of panel energy?

I have a 100/30 SmartSolar and today connected it to 4-100 watt solar panels to charge my house battery bank. Here is a screenshot of the Victron Connect screen. The thing I don't understand is why it indicates batteries are "discharging" when the panels are generating 209 Watts of energy??? I have double and tripled checked wiring and SmartSolar battery settings. What am I missing? screenshot-smartsolar.jpg

smart solar charging behaviour
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·
I suspect you have wired the mppt directly to the battery, bypassing the BMV.
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Anthony Beebe avatar image Anthony Beebe commented ·
Yes, you are correct! I connected directly to the battery. How should it be connected?
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ Anthony Beebe commented ·

The mppt battery negative wire goes on the load / charger side of the shunt.

Shunt..

0 Likes 0 ·
Anthony Beebe avatar image Anthony Beebe klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Aaaah, I think were getting close to figuring this out! Thanks so much! So the MPPT positive wire goes to the positive side of the battery but the negative wire goes to the load/charger side of the shunt?
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·
The manual of the BMV/SmartShunt is pretty clear about that. Only one wire is connected to the negative of the battery and that is going to the battery side of the shunt EVERYTHING ELSE have to be connected to the other side of the shunt.
1 comment
2 |3000

Anthony Beebe avatar image Anthony Beebe commented ·

I appreciate the info. Can't wait to get it squared away in the morning!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic