question

douganator avatar image
douganator asked

Charge Controller Not Recognizing correct PV - SanTan 250w solar panels x2 measure 52v in series but Victron100/30 only sees 27v?

Hey all,
So, I have 2 identical Victron 100/30 MPPT solar charge controllers that work fine on my other panel pair (Unisolar PVL-136)
I have 4 SanTan SST series 250w panels.
I have wired 2 in series and I get around 52v with what sun is left today... but the controller only reads around 27v.
I have tried both controllers... same thing.
I have tried different pairs of the SanTans... same thing.
Anyone have any insights?

Thanks,
Doug

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

When you get some decent sun test your solar panels.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Douganator

The voltage will drop under load. That is normal.

As klim8skeptic mentioned test it in full sun. You will see see lower voltages on the pv side when charging but you should get the panels rating in watts (volts x amps )out in the right conditions while the battery is charging. If it doesn't then there is something wrong with the panels.

2 |3000

douganator avatar image
douganator answered ·

Thanks guys,

Everything works correctly when I get decent sun. That's what I get for testing them in a less-than-ideal position.

Cheers!

Doug

2 |3000