question

solardeputy avatar image
solardeputy asked

How many panels can I use?

Hello, just purchased a 100/30 Mppt victron charge controller. I have 2 200watt Rich solar panels. Can I use 3 200watt solar panels or only 2? Battery is 12 volt. Thank you

Solar Panel
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Probably but you won't gain anything unless you have significant periods of poor light. Throughput of the MPPT is 30*12=360W.

What are the specifications of the panels?

There's a Victron calculator online which will do the calcs

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
adev avatar image
adev answered ·

As Kev has already pointed out, you’ll need to know the full specs of the panels to determine how many you can add to a given MPPT controller. For panels in series, the voltage values add together (take the Voc value on the panel label).

For panels in parallel, the current output adds together (take the Isc value on the panel label).

So long as the value of the Voc x the number of series connected panels is comfortably under the controllers voltage limit (100v in your case, so aim for around 90v maximum) that will be fine.

So long as the value of the Isc x the number of parallel connected panels is under the current rating of the MPPT (50a in your case), it will be fine*. For this you actually CAN go over that value, but the MPPT then won’t be protected against short circuit current and may be damaged if you make wrong connections whilst there is a current flowing. Other than that, if all is connected correctly, the power output will just be limited.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic