question

roosterrs avatar image
roosterrs asked

BlueSmart IP22 Charger 24V/8A peak in rush current on AC side

I am looking at installing an IP22 24V/8A charger within a system. The power cable reel I am using is rated to 8A wound with a 5 metre cable length. Power supply is 240V/13A, I need to know the PEAK in rush current on the AC side for this particular charger as it is not listed on the spec sheet,

bluesmart ip22
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Specifiying the peak inrush current on the AC side would be almost impossible to do because the energy source, wiring and other sources of resistance in the path to the charger are completely unknown.
Absolute peak inrush current for switch mode power supplies like this is usually a few hundred Amps to maybe a few thousand Amps for a couple of micro seconds. You can sometimes hear a spark when you plug a laptop charger in (same topology as an IP22 charger). It's too short a time to specify or to worry about.
The continuous current is the one that you need to look at. The 24/8 IP22 charger is charging the battery at about 200W. So on the AC side this is less than 1A. Your 8A extension cable would easily accommodate that even if it was fully coiled up.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.