question

justin1965 avatar image
justin1965 asked

Orion tr 24/24 -12 output current higher than rated.

I've just installed an Orion tr 24/24 - 12 between my starter battery and lifepo4 battery bank. I've set the output voltage at 28.4 which is possibly a bit high. When switched on it is putting out up to 20a but is only rated at 12a. Is this OK or will it damage the unit?

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Justin1965

One of the non-smart ones? If so, then this is normal. It may get hot, even hotter than you might consider reasonable, but it wiil derate at that stage. Still covered by warranty, though you might want to ensure good ventilation, even space it off the wall a little to help with that.

I think newer production runs have set limits now, as people want to use them as current limiters too. But if you can live with the 20A it should be fine.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

justin1965 avatar image justin1965 commented ·

Hi John, thanks for the advice. I didn't notice any excess heat, I did touch the outside to check and it seemed fine for that, although it wasn't running for very long. I will keep an eye on it and maybe look at spacing it from the wall if it gets too hot.

I had just expected it would only be able to provide the output it was rated at. I have an 80a alternator so that should be OK.

One more question, I was considering dropping the output voltage to see if that reduced the output amps. My lifepo4 batteries are at 26.95 volts. If there is no current limit will the unit run at even higher amps if the lifepo4's were down to say 23v? I am still a bit in the dark with lithium as there is very little resistance in the cells but presumably the greater potential would still result in an increased current as with lead acid??

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ justin1965 commented ·
@Justin1965

I can't really answer that. Li's do accept a charge easily, and you may well have reached the limit anyway. And it's not normal to let Li's get that low.

These devices aren't so convenient to adjust V, so typically you'd just set it to what you want. I've found them rock-solid stable retaining that initial setting.

0 Likes 0 ·
justin1965 avatar image
justin1965 answered ·

Hi John, just to add I had the unit running for 2 hours while driving with an output current of 18a. It didn't seem to get above warm so I am actually very pleased to be charging at a higher than expected rate. Thanks for the advice, it gave me the confidence to leave it running.

2 |3000