question

doubledap avatar image
doubledap asked

Is the PV array oversized?

I'd appreciate some help to understand my current system in order to move forward with the correct Victron MPPT. I bought a house that had the linked kit installed by a local electrician.

• 12x 280w A grade Poly Crystalline CEC approved Solar Panels – AIDE
  • 5KVA/ 4kW Solar Inverter Charger with 80A AC Charger & 60A MPPT Solar Controller (Max voltage input of the MPPT charger says 145V)
  • 24x 2v Tubular GEL Deep Cycle Batteries 240AH each, Carbon Lead

https://www.selfsufficientaus.com.au/products/ecotronics-off-grid-system-3-36kw-5-kva-4-kw-inverter-15-5-kwh-tubular-gel-bank

The MPPT function on the Solar Inverter Charger recently failed and the electrician told me this was the second unit of this type to fail. He was supposed to get back to me with a quote for the Victron upgrade and now 4 weeks later won't respond to calls or messages. Needless to say I'll be moving on from him, but want to have some understanding of my requirements when meeting with the new electrician. Is there a chance the MPPT function of the solar charger inverter listed above failed due to being undersized?

When the electrician did come out he told me the 12 panels are in 2 strings of 6 panels and written on my wall is "PV array open circuit voltage 115V." When I plug the numbers in the Victron MPPT calculator the only result I get is the 450/100 Blue and Smart Charger, which is confuses me as the compatibility of the current system is so small l by comparison. I've written to the supplier of the kit to try to get more info about the panels and in addition to the specifications listed above he told me the panels have an open circuit of 32V.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

12 * 280 = 3360W

3360W/48V = 70A

Your 60A MPPT will leave ~10A on the table. Given that panels often don't hit peak power in the real world, you're not losing much, but if you want to make sure you convert all available photons to Watts, you should go 70A or larger.

The MPPT 150/70 would work fine.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

doubledap avatar image
doubledap answered ·

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the explanation in such simple terms.

2 |3000