question

letube avatar image
letube asked

Advise on fitting Smart shunt

Hi Looking for a little advice really I have a new mobile application (mobile coffee van). I have two separate LIFEPO4 batteries each made up of 4 x 280AH 3.2V cells connected to a Multiplus 2 (12v- 3000-230V). I have these batteries separate as the both have their own Daly Smart BMS. The question I have is. Im installing also a Victron Smart shunt BMV 712 , the small fused power lead supply, do I connect to a common positive shared by both batteries +busbar or just to one battery. or this not that critical and am I overthinking it?. I was assuming the BMV would monitor batteries as one???. I have (hopefully) attached basic schematic of battery layout. Sorry its a little vague but this install was supposed to be undertaken by a professional who I have now fallen out with as he never turned up and am now doing the install myself??? Coffee Van battery layout.pdf

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

There is some confusion here. You said Smartshunt BMV-712? The BMV-712 and the Smartshunt are separate products.
The BMV-712 has a shunt, but the shunt is not smart because the BMV-712 which connects to it is the Smart bit.

Let me assume that you just have a BMV-712 with it's associated shunt which are connected together witch the grey cable? In this case connect the little red wire which comes out of the +B1 terminal of the shunt to Busbar A. Normally this should be connected to the positive terminal of the battery, but because you have two separate batteries connected in parallel, I think the Busbar A option would be better in this case.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

letube avatar image
letube answered ·

Good evening you are exactly right its a standard shunt with the 712 being the smart item (unlike me !!). Thank you very much for your prompt reply very much appreciated.

2 |3000