question

stevez avatar image
stevez asked

SmartShunt Install Question

Pardon this novice question, but I just purchased a SmartShunt to monitor my two trailer batteries (12v / parallel) and have read though all the installation instructions and also viewed a number of the installation videos. I understand that the SmartShunt needs to be installed on the negative lead out from the battery, but in my case there are two negative leads. One negative traces back into the trailer itself and the other goes out to my solar panels. Will the SmartShunt monitor the batteries correctly if the "To System" terminal is only connected to the main negative lead for the trailer or do I also need to connect the negative solar panel lead to that "To System" terminal? The circular metal connector on the negative solar panel lead isn't large enough to fit the SmartShunt terminal so that will be a little more challenging if required. Thanks in advance for your help!

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Essentially, the shunt needs to count all energy going into or out of the battery.
If any cable bypass it then it can't count the energy in that cable.

So all "To System" connections include loads and chargers, so yes, you'll need to connect the negative solar panel lead here also.
Only the battery negative terminal should connect to the "To Battery" terminal of the SmartShunt, just to one cable.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.