question

bossrox avatar image
bossrox asked

3 Victron charger failures, I'm thru with this brand!

I had 2 150/100's working fine for nearly a year til I switched from 24v to 48v. 1 immediately failed on 48v connect, the 2nd within a week. Why? Don't have a clue but Victron made good on replacing them.

Now about 3 months later, 1 of the replacements quits shutting down at sundeown, backfeeds battery power back into the panels & unless I disconnect the battery, it stays in the mode of the previous day & goes straight from bulk to float, skipping absorption.

So I call my dealer & get this Victron representative called Louis, he asks me ?'s, I send him video of my setup which is absolutely wired properly & he says it's not, showing me he's a lying idiot that has some kind of gate keeper agenda to welsh on the warranty.

Well it didn't bother me so much as it was still charging good except I had to kill the battery power every night so it would cycle properly the next day but now a couple weeks later it sometimes gets stuck to limiting 10 - 20 amps charging which I have to fix by killing the panels & reconnecting til it happens again which has become frequently.

Since Victron won't stand behind their product, I'm doing a youtube video showing the world how my chargers are properly connected in excrutiating detail & explaining the 3 out of 4 failures in less than 2 years & for welshing on your warranty on this current issue.

This Mr Louis gate keeper is in my view someone looking out for Victrons bottom line but when the world sees what kind of issues is going on with this brand, that bottom line will become worse from the loss of sales from skepticism of Victron's integrity.

It doesn't matter to me now if this charger is replaced or not 'cuz Victron has lost my faith in their product & I won't be back. This is the kind of reliability I'd expect from a garbage brand like an Epever charger except twice the price.

If however Victron makes good on replacing that charger, I'll withhold that video but they'll be sold off & replaced with something hopefully more reliable than these flakey components.

Mr louis, a copy of this blast will be in your mail as well.

MPPT SmartSolar
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1. Please read the Victron Community Guide Lines.

2. The friendly community is all about asking questions regarding a problem with your system with Victron hardware and software or helping others out (voluntarily) if they have issues, not ranting.

3. If you want to speak to someone from Victron or the Community Manager, please follow this link: How to contact the Community Manager

4. This is definitely not the right place to shout out and/or rant or threaten someone, not Victron nor a community member.

5. I think you better delete your post unless you have a specific question regarding your setup or want to report a problem.

6. If not 5. I hope your post will be deleted quickly.

0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@Bossrox

So you've had 3x failures of what is normally an ultra-reliable device (I've one too). Then been told by a 'Victron rep' that it's installed incorrectly. At this stage your case isn't looking good..

Yet you choose not to provide any detail whatsoever in your post so that we can provide confirmation either way. But instead make threats. That wouldn't work on me, but I can't speak for Victron.

I actually look forward to seeing the story in "excrutiating" (sic) detail, so I can see what's going wrong. Please post a link when it happens.

Edit/ Also passed on to higher level, so rest assured you've been seen..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bossrox avatar image
bossrox answered ·

These replacement chargers are wired up exactly the same as the 1st set that failed & the 1st gate keeper for those failures had me go over my wiring of them explicitly & said they were connected correctly. So how is it now they aren't wired correctly?

I'm not some greenhorn just getting into solar from knowing nothing of it, making stupid mistakes & been an electrician for over 40 years. My wiring is correct!

Like I said, I really don't care anymore if they do replace it since I'm finding another brand to take their place but the cost of replacing this charger will be way less for Victron than the loss of sales for potential buyers looking into Victrons to see how they welsh on backing up their stuff & the issues these units have been having. I'm not putting up with this nonsense!

I've been seeing other issues like mine on solar forums about Victron issues so This isn't some uncommon thing going on with Victron equipment. The old "Victrons are built like tanks" reputation is starting to lose it's traction.

1 comment
2 |3000

idunne avatar image idunne commented ·
well said bossrox ....i have a few victron units and dont perform like they say..infact epever out do them in my view
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I spent my career dealing with self professed experts, most with degrees, many with PhD. As their manager I had to earn their respect. This came from rngagement. The fatal thing was to claim nothing wrong/cannot be wrong, ity been right for years. The ones who knew it all were the ones who knew the least.

I hope you can learn to show what the problem is, we may spot something you haven't, or we may be aware of something new.

But your second rant here makes me think that this post is a waste of time. But I can try.

2 |3000

drdiesel avatar image
drdiesel answered ·

Please link your youtube video, I want to see what your doing wrong.

2 |3000

tmartin000 avatar image
tmartin000 answered ·

I found your guy on the internet.......Definitely a DIY'r.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxe7rNRJaRKUbfEEJqNC1FZKB6WI0RNGL

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

I think the OP has lost all credibility. DIY array input switching.

0 Likes 0 ·
billknny avatar image
billknny answered ·

If I was the OP I'd be far more worried about my fire insurance company watching his video and getting a look at his wiring than anything about his chargers.

And WOW! His video channel has 101 views! He's a REAL influencer...

2 |3000