question

mark-hicks avatar image
mark-hicks asked

Multiplus only charging at 500W with 6.5kVA Generator

My work-in-progress off grid house has a Pylontech bank with a Multiplus 48/1200 inverter charger. With the UK winter being not very sunny this last couple of weeks I had to bring in a generator to charge the bank - I hired a Stephill 6.5kVA unit. For some reason the Multiplus wouldn't charge the batteries at more than about 400W. If I turned on other loads in the house it would also power those from the generator output though (so with 500W house loads the total from the gen was about 900W.

With more dull weather likely before I can finish expanding my PV, how can I extract maximum charging from a generator?

screenshot-20211217-143615-comandroidchrome.jpg

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mark-hicks avatar image
mark-hicks answered ·

Just read this: "If the quality of the supply waveform is less than the charger expects, it will reduce its output to ensure that the COS phi (difference between current/voltage phases) remains acceptable."

Is that my problem? It wasn't a very sophisticated generator.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.