question

play3000 avatar image
play3000 asked

System design with old Quattro & new MPPT

Hi,
I am currently designing the system for a camper. I have an old Quattro 24V/5000 with control panel, shunt, ... but no MPPT. So MPPT will be new ones. I will use also 3x batteries LiFePO4 with BMS integrated (24V, 230Ah).

To be more clear, below the design I made:
electricitecar.jpg

I guess, I have no way to connect the VE.direct output of MPPT to the system, correct (ie : no conversion from VE.direct to VE.net possible)? So, I may need to add a BT device for VE.Direct outputs if I want to monitor.

Also, any mistake in the design I made?
Note : for the 24V loads, it will go to a dedicated panel with a power on/off and all required fuses.
Thanks for your help.

Play3000

MPPT ControllersMultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
electricitecar.jpg (1.5 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

strongly sugest that you remove the blue power, buy a smart shunt and a cerbo GX and then everything will then connect, with heaps more options. there is also a remote screen for the cerbo or you can use your phone or table, and in a lot of cases the Boats MFD as a display

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

play3000 avatar image play3000 commented ·

@Paul B About shunt and blue power, I take note of your remark. It means an extra budget, but understand your remark/concern. No need of waterproof display, as it will be far away from water in my camper (it is not for a boat) ;-) It is a big camper (a bus in fact), so I have some space available for a generator allowing some extra autonomy for electrical power.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

If you're in Europe, you probably want the 3 pole blue CEE for shore power. The one shown is for 3 phase and you only use one. Camp sites only have single phase/blue connectors as well. Agree on the smart shunt.

You could consider a CCGX.

5 comments
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·
ccgx is the same price as a cerbo GX with a screen and the cerbo has heaps more options in relation to tanks - digital monitoring and more ve direct ports and more USB ports. plus its touch screen and the screen is water proof - much more - plus the cerbo can operate without a screen
0 Likes 0 ·
play3000 avatar image play3000 Paul B commented ·
I found a price difference (10% more for Cerbo + GX touch screen)... perhaps digging more can allow me to find better prices.

Thanks for info.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ play3000 commented ·
The official price is 526€ for the CCGX and 300€ + 225€ for the Cerbo GX + GX Touch 50.

Prices excl. TAX!

https://www.victronenergy.com/information/pricelist

0 Likes 0 ·
play3000 avatar image play3000 Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Clear, thanks. Made a mistake in calculation on my side!
0 Likes 0 ·
play3000 avatar image play3000 commented ·

@kevgermany My mistake about the shore power connexion... I should use a 1 phase only and forgot to change it in the drawing!
I made the correction now (3 pole, 32A max)

0 Likes 0 ·
play3000 avatar image
play3000 answered ·

One question that pops up: when using outside power (from generator or from the shore power), is overall limited to 5000VA from the Quattro or can it be 5000VA + what is provided from external connexion (don't need so much, but just to know if I can go above 5000VA in some cases, if required)?

About MPPT connexion to the busbar, I saw in ref drawing a circuit breaker. Is it mandatory?

5 comments
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

About MPPT connexion to the busbar, I saw in ref drawing a circuit breaker. Is it mandatory?

It is mandatory to protect the MPPT wires, too, but I would recommend a fuse, not an MCB.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
For the power, download the manual for that unit. They give max sustained and peak values in the specs. And look to see if you have power assist.

Not sure if the circuit breaker is mandatory or needed. You already have them the other side of the busbar and between the panels and MPPTs.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Not sure if the circuit breaker is mandatory or needed. You already have them the other side of the busbar and between the panels and MPPTs.

Neither of those would protect the wires between the busbar and the MPPT charger.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ seb71 commented ·
Did you look at the fuses?
0 Likes 0 ·
play3000 avatar image play3000 seb71 commented ·
Ok, so not clear... Will continue to investigate.
0 Likes 0 ·
play3000 avatar image
play3000 answered ·

Hi,
Coming back to alternators. Is the Cyrix able to manage the power required to alternators to avoid over current on their side (too much power required, and heating of them) and/or power provided to the batteries (so that charging current is not too high of LiFePO4 batteries)?

Just checking specs of batteries, charging current should be between 50 and 100A, so if I target 50A per batterie, it should be around 5h for charging and should be ok for alternators too!
And should I use Cyric-ct or Cyrix-li-Ct (as my batteries are not Victron batteries)?

2 |3000