question

thechad avatar image
thechad asked

Multiplus-II 12/3000/2x120 -- Only 60A of Charing Current

I have configured the charge profile for our MPII to a maximum of 120A. However, I can only seem to get about 60-70A DC from it. Currently running our generator (5500W), with Inverter in Charger Only Mode and 45A maximum current.

Any ideas of what I can check to get the MPII to charge faster @ 120A? I feel like I'm wasting gas charging at 60A...

Thanks,

-chad

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
thechad avatar image
thechad answered ·

I think I figured it out... The setting "Weak AC" was enabled. Apparently, this allows the inverter to connect to less than ideal power from sources like a generator. The Inverter evaluates the power source and may reduce the power factor to less than 1. I tried disabling this setting and it wouldn't use our generator power at all. I reenabled it and now I'm getting 80A. So, my guess is the Inverter evaluates the power at connection and sets a power factor and leaves it. I got lucky on the last connection and got a slightly higher power factor, giving us 80A (0.66 power factor) vs 60A (0.5).

My next step will be to adjust our generator to get as close to 120V @ 60Hz (currently around 62Hz). But, it might be waveform related.

Hope this helps someone.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ripnc avatar image
ripnc answered ·

Chad,

How did you handle getting your MP2 to use both 30A circuits from your Onan? Since they are in phase the MP2 will drop L2. Considering paralleling mine to L1 since Onan will only output about 46A total. Thx.

2 |3000