question

josht6tsi avatar image
josht6tsi asked

Help setting up Orion DC-DC

Hello everyone, This is my first post so please be nice! :)

I have a 2018 Transporter Petrol and have installed a orion smart charge to charge my 120ah AGM leisure battery,

I have placed the unit in charger and mode, and selected "agm" battery type but my unit will not charge my leisure battery. It just comes up bulk charge.

Could someone help?

orion-tr smart
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@josht6tsi

Bulk charging is charging. It is the state during which the charger is raising the battery to a target voltage that is set

There are many orion models so knowing which one you have will be helpful.

I assume you do not have the smart one though? Check with a clamp meter if possible and also check on the datasheet that the orion will charge your battery to the spec the manufacturer recommended.

0 Likes 0 ·
josht6tsi avatar image josht6tsi Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Hi thank you for the reply

It’s the Orion smart Tr 12/12-18

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

There are different charging modes. Not sure if all apply to your unit. Bulk is the first, followed by absorption float and storage. On initial use, bulk may stay on for what seems forever. Then it will stay another eternity in absorption. Think of it as finishing off the last bits of charge. Float is maintaining the charge level and supplying any 12V loads. Storage is you haven't used it for ages, bartery is full, I'll take a nap while I keep an eye on things.

As soon as you use the battery, the charger will kick in.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

josht6tsi avatar image
josht6tsi answered ·

9bb769fe-e706-4aae-b0b1-a0e9ba429db6.jpegImage CaptionSo this unit is actually doing my head in,

if anyone can help it will not charge the battery.

ee6cd8cb-4997-46f0-83c7-c22dd7ee6460.jpeg

5 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Battery settings? Engine detection settings? Screenshot of the main screen with engine running?

0 Likes 0 ·
josht6tsi avatar image josht6tsi Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

e375e576-b780-42c4-94b8-b28754488f60.png

Hope this helps

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ josht6tsi commented ·
No this is the same as above.

Click on "battery settings" and make a screenshot there.

Go back click on "engine shutdown defection" and make a screenshot there.

Go back click on the X in the upper left to get to the main screen and make a screenshot there (one with the engine running and one without the engine running).

0 Likes 0 ·
josht6tsi avatar image josht6tsi Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

6aee3c8c-cd9b-4600-a1a6-658463e96b88.png

This one?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ josht6tsi commented ·

This is only one I asked for...

We want this two times (with engine running and without):

screenshot-20210823-175044.jpg

And this:

screenshot-20210823-175054.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
josht6tsi avatar image
josht6tsi answered ·

If anyone can help it will not charge Iv done everything as per instructions. Set to AGM battery and won’t charge done hours of driving.
thinking of throwing away and buying a ctek

3 comments
2 |3000

ian-stuart avatar image ian-stuart commented ·
I have had a Ctek D250SA for 4 years no problems, but it will not charge Lithium, so changed to VictronConnect 12/12/30 charger, I am having serious problem, been scanning this web site for 2 days without finding answers to my problem, I have re-wired twice, still have the CTek in front of me, tempted to switch back.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ ian-stuart commented ·
Ian

Please post your charger setting as a screen shot.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ ian-stuart commented ·
Same questions/requests as above. We need screenshots of the settings...

Is the remote plug plugged in?

0 Likes 0 ·
josht6tsi avatar image
josht6tsi answered ·

Vehicle battery - positive cable through van to positive input on Orion

Input earth to chassis ground

Output positive to + leisure battery

Output negative to - leisure battery

from leisure battery to 12v fuse board connecting lights/fridge and battery monitor that is showing the battery is not charging even after 2 hours of driving

2 |3000

kaz-oz avatar image
kaz-oz answered ·

Show us the initial screen with engine running. If it always says bulk and its not charging then its faulty unit or your battery is no good.

If it is actually saying in the main screen charging is disabled due to lock out voltage etc. If its a smart alternator you will have to tweak lock out voltages and engine running detection or run a wire from ignition to "remote" as per manual.

2 |3000