question

leigh avatar image
leigh asked

Which Controller?? Help please:-)

Hi all

I have a 12v system they are 2 x 12v @ 220ah so total of 440 ah on my boat.

I have been looking at the following panels and would like to install 2 or 3

- https://klimaenergi.dk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Vikram-SOMERA-Ultima-60-CELLS-1500v-Full-Black.pdf

Even after quite a bit of research and attempting to understand how to calculate it. I always end up with an extra unsure thought..

I have come to the conclusion that a reputable MPPT controller is key there for I decided on victron

So which MPPT controller would I need for 2 x these panels

And which if I get 3 of the above panels

Or is there a better scenario you could recommend.

Your help is greatly appreciated

mppt charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Leigh

Try this calculator.. https://mppt.victronenergy.com/#

Those panels would work ok in Parallel into 12V batts. Or you could even do one (smaller) mppt for each panel if you had selective shading.

But have a play. Come back as you need.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

leigh avatar image leigh commented ·
Thanks, I entered the info into it before posting this but It would not let me add a battery float of 13,4v ..

Both panels are on the highest point of the boat and should have not shade.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ leigh commented ·

@Leigh

Don't worry about the float V, it will compensate for that itself.

My guess is that it will calculate ~/20 capacity for each panel, but the range doesn't fit exactly, so probably 100/20, 100/50, and 150/60 for 1,2,3 panels. The 150/ is likely a steeper price stepup but you could possibly run 3x in a series string.

The 100/50 would rarely limit you into 440Ah of batt, even with 3x panels, and would probably be a good choice for either 2 or 3 panels.

0 Likes 0 ·
leigh avatar image leigh JohnC ♦ commented ·

Thank you John

Is there a big advantage by running 3 x in a series.

If I read correctly on an average day 3 of the panels will run fine through the 100/50 given my bank size? Perhaps my calculations are wrong but 3 should refresh the batteries every 24 hours + -

I am not a huge power consumer on anchor. But the batteries get close to a critical level after 1.5 days. So i am trying to extend that rather than install a generator or run my engines;-)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic