question

carl avatar image
carl asked

Choosing battery type for Orion smart as a charger

Hi, I added an Orion smart to use as charger for my starter batteries, they are “ normal sealed Enerizer lead acid 100Ah starter batteries, I cannot get any recommendations from either Energizer nor the retailer of the batteries, on how to set up charging profile, unfortunately, niether in the Orion manual, nor in this forum. Others askes the same question and got the answer “ use the correct settings for your batteries”, so please don’t answer that, if I knew that I would not ask. In the settings of the Orion flooded lead acid batteries aren’t even listed as an option, see pictures. So, anybody know how to set this up?

e809b606-aac3-4b9d-a0c3-3e53a41a9e8c.jpegImage Caption

f5292cf4-85e9-4bdc-a62f-5aa2d19f482e.jpeg

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Carl

Try the 'Gel(1)' setting. It's not aggressive and would do.

What you choose really depends on how much you draw the batts down daily, and how long you have to charge them. You could go more aggressive if you have a limited time to charge them and have drawn them down somewhat. If they're in 24/7 storage, you might just choose a flat 13.2V. Maybe 'Gel(2)' for a little more grunt if you're time pressed..

Make sure 'Adaptive' comes up in the settings, unless you want a fixed Absorb time.

So there's no single answer, sorry. I think most of the presets there cover the Victron battery range, but there's something for most tastes. I'm not sure with the Orions, but you should be able to modify a preset and save it under your preferred name, as an extra to the standard list.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

carl avatar image carl commented ·
Thanks, I rarely draw them down at all, since they are in a boat and we don’t start the engines that often, I installed the Orion to make sure the batteries would be well stored and ready for use when needed. Still a bit disappointed on how little information Victron provides on this topic, I understand they want to sell their own batteries, but still...

0 Likes 0 ·