question

jhacker avatar image
jhacker asked

Two BMV-700s with two shunts in series?

Hopefully an easy question to answer...

I am hoping to use two BMV-700s one as an alarm and one as a trip (it would be great if it had two relay outputs but it doesn't). Is it possible to put two of the provided shunts in series? Will this affect the accuracy of measurement?

Thanks,

Joe

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

No that will be fine basically you then have two BMVs reading the same.

I would suggest that you think about connecting a Cerbo to the existing BMVs Ve Direct port that way you don't have to buy a second BMV unit - then you can also use the cerbos relay and or get emails from the VRM. plus lots of other options as well - just a thought

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jhacker avatar image jhacker commented ·
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your response.

I've had a look at the Cerbo and my only issue is space inside my enclosure (it seems pretty reasonable for the cost).

Is there anything else that's a bit less advanced than the Cerbo that allows for a second relay output using the VE Direct comms.?

The other option I have is that I could possible connect the VE Direct port to an industrial PLC, but I'm guessing that the VE Direct protocol is bespoke to Victron so I probably can't access the data from a 3rd party controller?

Joe

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic