question

graeme-w avatar image
graeme-w asked

Pre-charger for Batrium BMS and Quattro/MPPT

Hi everyone

We are installing Batrium BMS on Winston LiFePo4 connected to a Quattro and MPPT. Am I right that we should put a pre-charger circuit in the system?

We liked the pre-charger unit from REC (but unfortunately their BMS isn't suitable for our system) - is there a similar pre-made off the shelf type unit we could use, rather than a DIY circuit with relay and resistor? (Sadly Batrium don't offer anything).

Many thanks

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
David avatar image
David answered ·

Why? It’s used what? Once? Use a resistor and let it be

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

graeme-w avatar image graeme-w commented ·
Hi David. Thanks for your input, as our system is on our boat we do need to shut the whole system down sometimes for maintenance or when major work eg.welding is being done onboard. As non-techie people, and needing to protect an expensive 15kW Quattro, the idea of an off-the shelf solution appeals.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Yes, precharge is highly recommended if not essential.

I would think the REC recharger would work without their BMS.

The Battery + input to the precharge would be the on/off control.

REC also sells contactors that work on pulses to close and open them as well as the driver for those contractors. These would reduce the current when the system is on.

2 |3000

nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

They for sure work with other systems. I used one on my mini-bms (non-victron mini-bms, the original from powerhouse auto) and it worked great.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic