question

braisel avatar image
braisel asked

Which ESS settings are the best for extending battery lifetime?

Hi guys, quick question.

Got 2 mid size systems with Victron components, everything is working great.

But I have one question I couldnt find an answer to, neither in the internet nor in the manual and I was searching for very long time.

Which ESS Setting in an DC coupled panel system is the most preservative for Pylontech batteries when the main focus is on feeding the grid only? (batteries are just there for a backup solution, but because of the stable grid, they are not really needed in practice)

Setup:

Multiplus II GX

BlueSolar MPPT 150/60

2x Pylontech US3000C

Again, everything is working great, but as Lithium batteries dont really like to get charged on a full 100% all the time I was wondering which setting in [ESS] menu would be the best to save and extend the lifetime of the batteries.

If I select [keep batteries charged] I minimize the "cycle movement" inside the batteries, but I have the problem of a full 100% and high voltage all the time.

If I select [optimized - without battery life] and put the SoC to 100% its the same in the end.

Wouldnt be the best solution for this an option which allows me to lets say keep the SoC on a stable 80%, with no further action? (just as a backup system when grid fails)

Please let me know which ESS settings are the most harmless for the batteries and for this type of scenario.

Thanks a lot,

All the best

Markus

Multiplus-IIESS
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·
You can lower you max Voltage in your mppts to prevent the over voltage. It seems like your voltage settings are incorrect as you should be able to stay at 100% SOC all day long with no problem.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
marv21 avatar image
marv21 answered ·

Yep, a "max SOC" would be a nice setting. A "max charge current" too.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

braisel avatar image braisel commented ·

Yes, but then we are facing the problem that lithium batteries dont like the status of keeping them charged on a full 100% with constant high voltage. Therefore it would be great if there would be a setting like keep the SoC on a stable 80%, with no further action. If this doesnt exist, which setting would be the least harmful for the batteries?

0 Likes 0 ·
g-richter avatar image
g-richter answered ·

Hallo,

make sure you have the correct charge settings in VEConfigure. If not you get high voltage alarms. Read here, especially chapter 5.3 : https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

2 |3000

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic