question

Elimac avatar image
Elimac asked

Can smartsense be used to estimate SOC ?

Hello,

For those situations that are very cost sensitive - simple DC installations in remote sites - where you don't have any Inverter (VE.bus or otherwise) but a smartsense is used, I was considering adding a raspberry (running VenusOS) to be able to monitor the site. But I can't know the SOC, only voltage reading. Is there anyway to estimate SOC based on voltage, by using the existing smartsense?

MPPT SmartSolarSmart Battery Sense
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Elimac,

estimating SOC just from Voltage (through a SmartBattery Sense or any other voltage measurement device) can only be a estimate and very inaccurate because it relies on too many other parameters like discharge current, peukert, number of loads, moment of voltage sensing (battery discharging, charging or in idle) etc.

FWIW: you cannot read voltage info on your GX device from a SmartBattery Sense. To read voltage you need to be on site in bluetooth distance.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Elimac avatar image Elimac commented ·
Thanks. I'm aware of the inaccuracy. And I can read the voltage remotely with the raspberry, provided by the MPPT itself. The SOC would be a bonus, but I understand that without a shunt it would be just rough estimate.

Anyway, for DC-only installations with MPPTs that have Load output, I think it is not stupid to think of an aproximate SOC to be shown in VenusOS GUI.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic