question

miksons avatar image
miksons asked

Changing PIN

Yesterday I had the converter/charger in my RV changed to something that is Lithium battery compatible and verified that the Orion Tr-Smart DC-DC Charger (12/12/30 Isolated) was working on the drive back home. I did that by checking the SmartShunt app and verified that the battery was charging at about the 30 amps I expected from the 12/12/30.

This morning I found I could not connect my smartphone to the Charger. It did not tell me my PIN was wrong, it just would not connect and a screen came up giving me options, including rebooting the phone and watching a video on how to change the PIN. Rebooting the phone did not work and I can not find any video about changing the PIN from an established PIN to a new one on either YouTube or on the Victron webpage. There are tons of videos on YouTube about installing the charger but I saw nothing about changing an established PIN, and the search on the Victron webpage brought up 20,000 hits and I did not think it was worth the trouble to go through more than the first couple of pages.

Can anyone tell me how to change an established PIN? Or point me to the video Victron referenced? Or give me any ideas about how to proceed? I suspect that the charger is working but I want to make sure it is using the proper profile and I can't do that without connecting to it. I also thought about removing the app and reinstalling it but I don't know fi that would do any good.

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @miksons

Can you please be a little more specific on what was happening when you tried to connect? Was the charger not visible or for example what percentage was reached when trying to connect?

Regarding PIN codes, the PIN can be changed when connected to a product using the product info screen. This is described in chapter 3.2 of the VictronConnect manual: https://ve3.nl/VictronConnect_manual

When you forgot the PIN code and need to reset it to the default of "000000", you can follow the procedure described in the manual here: https://ve3.nl/VictronConnect_ResetPIN

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

saltymetals avatar image
saltymetals answered ·

I have been and round on this, trying to create a personal PIN. Clearly Victron MPPT's have been a great success but when I use the Victron App to connect to my Victron MPPT I typically see 5-8 others. Yes I know the transmitted identity of my unit but that means 5-8 others could also logon to my unit unless I have changed the default 000000 PIN code.

I hv been going round in circles trying to change my PIN code, used the PUK, etc but the PUK simply resets my PIN to 000000 instead of allowing me to change it. So what am I missing? Where is the magic?

Andrew

3 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
You have to connect to the unit and go to the settings and there on the three dots in the upper right corner -> product info and there is an option to change the PIN.

This should also be in the manual.

0 Likes 0 ·
saltymetals avatar image saltymetals commented ·

Matthias, many tks prompt reply. Yes, I have tried the three dots on top RHS but I only get one option, RESET PIN. if I tap on that it leads to a window inviting me to input my PUK ( info from label on the back of my 75/15). When inputting my PUK and pressing OK it simply confirms that my PIN has been reset to the default 000000. The procedure never gives me the option to creat a new PIN. That is why I say I am going round in circles.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ saltymetals commented ·
You have to be connected to the device first, not in the device list.
0 Likes 0 ·