question

zandi avatar image
zandi asked

MPPT 100/20 Battery Bank Size/Capacity?!

Am I correct in thinking:

I can keep adding to my battery bank capacity (Ah) as long as its 12 or 48 V and I don`t need it recharged fast with the current MPPT 100/20 Victron charge controller and the limit is how many panels I can add (up to 300W for MPPT100/20)?

I`m planning to increased my Battery Bank Capacity (add a second bank) from 160 to 580 Ah as I was given 2 X 210 Ah Lead Acid Batteries for free, but at the same time don`t want to damage my Victron 100/20...

Thanks,

Sam

battery capacity
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

300W is about the limit for a 100/20 on a 12V battery.
You can add batteries to the bank and the controller will keep charging at 300W. If 300W will be enough power to keep your battery bank topped up really depends upon how much energy you take from the bank.
For 8 hours of good sun or 8 hours at 300W = 2.4KWh of energy, include charging losses in the battery, if you use less than 2KWh per day then that controller will be OK.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

zandi avatar image
zandi answered ·

Thanks Wkirby.
The system is in a cabin that’s used every weekend for a day, then pretty much no use week days so I’m hoping to keep the bank charged up during the week with the existing panels & heavy use once a week. I’m more concerned not to damage the MPPT with the high bank capacity (580 Ah) but that seems not to matter…

Thanks,

Sam

1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
OK, that will probably recover the energy over the six days of quiet time.

Ensure that there is good cooling for the MPPT and it will be able to run full power all day.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic