question

dylan-hyslop avatar image
dylan-hyslop asked

Limit Battery Charge Current From Grid

Good day,

I have a MultiPlusII .

In South Africa we have load shedding, where the grid goes off for 2 to 4 hours at a time. I have now seen that as the grid comes back on, my inverter now charges the batteries at FULL power. I do however have solar panel though,which would make more sense to let them recharge the battery.

I am using ESS, and have see the active battery level to 90% (So that it does not discharge every night)

Is there no way to limit the charging current to the battery from AC-IN (GRID).

I know you can limit the TOTAL grid in, but then that would effect the total output of the inverter.

Multiplus-IIESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Dylan Hyslop

I'm not sure what effect ESS has on this, but the charge rate in the Multi can be set, like this (the box in red)..

1623411256996.png

1623411256996.png (95.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ingo avatar image
Ingo answered ·

I am doing two things to limit power. The one @JohnC proposes will limit the Multi to that charge current - always, and it will work fine. What I do in my own scenario is to set this value quite high so to charge at max when required BUT I also have a ChargeControl Assistant configured to limit charging based on a timer. Our estate requires us to limit charging for the first 10 minutes. In the assistant I have my charging set to 1A for the first 10 minutes, after that it's open season. For me it's only a problem at night IF the SOC drops more than 5% below the Active SOC. if yours is set to 90% then it will start to charge from grid at 85% up to 90% again.

One good thing is that it only affects the Multi's grid charging. If you have MPPT's then they will carry on as usual during the day so it will satisfy your Grid Charging requirement and you can decide for how long it needs to 'trickle' the charge.

2 |3000