question

agroventuresperu avatar image
agroventuresperu asked

Please Clarify the Victron-Pylontech Compatibility Manual for me

I read the Victron-Pylontech Compatibility manual. Every page. My conclusion is that I just hook my batteries to my Smart Solar 250/100, Multiplus 48/5000 and CerboGX; and the Pylontech BMS and the Victron system takes care of everything automatically. No setting of parameters required via VEConfigure as long as I've updated all my Victron components with the latest firmware.

I have 4 Pylontech US3000 batteries in parallel, and according to the Victron-Pylontech Compatibility manual, I dont even need to adjust the dip switches on the batteries.

Are my conclusions correct? If so, why does the manual have all the sections about configuring with VEconfigure and VictronConnect if everything is automatically configured already?

Pylontech
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@AgroVenturesPeru

Always program the unit. We have seen one to many lazy or cheap installers kill systems and batteries like this.

The GX blows a fuse or a comms (stops working), cable from the bms stops working or a comms cable to the mppt comes out of place through moving or someone fiddling. It can but don't.

In short if comms stop so does the system.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

agroventuresperu avatar image agroventuresperu commented ·

After reading the manual I'm not sure if I have the required hardware to do this. See my reply above.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I'm going to back up Alexandra here. Please do follow the written Victron-Pylontech guide.
Action each step to be sure that everything is set up correctly. Take your time, it's worth it.
It worth spending 15 minutes following the guide to avoid problems in the future. Your batteries are expensive and can be dangerous if mis-configured. Other system components are expensive too so why take the risk?

1 comment
2 |3000

agroventuresperu avatar image agroventuresperu commented ·

I agree, but after reading the manual I'm not sure if I have the required hardware to do this. See my reply above.

0 Likes 0 ·
agroventuresperu avatar image
agroventuresperu answered ·

Another quirk with the compatibility manual is that at the end there is a FAQ section that states Victron caps the charge voltage at 52.4V. The VE.Configure section of the manual says to set the Absorption voltage to 52.0V. I guess that's another safety precaution? Seems excessive to me considering the Pylontech BMS itself caps voltage at 53.2V, and you've already reduced it down to 52.4V.

Also, DC Input Low Shutdown - 44V.

Seems like this would exceed the extreme low per cell in a 15 cell battery.

So, basically what you're suggesting is just to open up the parameters menu and check to see if the parameters are set up correctly? With the latest firmware, they already should be, right? This is just to double check?

I just checked my MK3 cable that I ordered, and it does not even come with the part necessary to hook up to the inverter (VE.Bus cable). Am I missing something? I do already have the VE.Bus cable that came with my Multiplus, but this is supposed to connect to the port on the CerboGX. If I interpreted this part of the manual correctly -

"8. Troubleshooting If the system is not operating correctly, go through these steps. Step 0. If the Inverter/Charger or GX device does not switch on As a safety precaution, the inverter/charger will not switch on if the GX device is not on."

-It means I won't be able to configure my inverter even with battery power, because I lack a second VE.Bus cable?

Please respond soon, the engineer is supposed to show up this week for the install, so I'm not sure if we're going to need an extra VE.Bus cable or not.

Maybe I am interpreting it wrong, because the Victron VE.Configure and VictronConnect tutorial videos show connecting to a battery, and it doesn't seem like there's a GX device even present during the video. It would be absurd to require an additional VE.Bus cable, and then not even include it with the MK3.

5 comments
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·
Another quirk with the compatibility manual is that at the end there is a FAQ section that states Victron caps the charge voltage at 52.4V. The VE.Configure section of the manual says to set the Absorption voltage to 52.0V. I guess that's another safety precaution? Seems excessive to me considering the Pylontech BMS itself caps voltage at 53.2V, and you've already reduced it down to 52.4V.

There is not much energy above 3.4V (cell voltage). The voltage rises quickly from about that point (when charging). If the cells are not very close (between them) at the top level (so you have some larger voltage differences between cells near the top), one cell can get beyond 3.6V (while the battery voltage can still be in the set range) and you want to avoid that. As you use the battery, in time the balancing should get the cells more closely to the same level at the top and if all is OK you could rise a little the Absorption voltage if you want.

Also, DC Input Low Shutdown - 44V.
Seems like this would exceed the extreme low per cell in a 15 cell battery.

I agree on this. I would use 3V per cell, so 45V (for the inverter low voltage cut off). But you should not get there normally.

I just checked my MK3 cable that I ordered, and it does not even come with the part necessary to hook up to the inverter (VE.Bus cable).

That is just a regular LAN/UTP cable.

0 Likes 0 ·
agroventuresperu avatar image agroventuresperu seb71 commented ·

Are you sure you can just use a regular UTP computer cable? I thought I read or heard somewhere that it needs to be a special RJ45 Victron cable or something of the sort.

0 Likes 0 ·
agroventuresperu avatar image agroventuresperu seb71 commented ·

https://www.victronenergy.com/cables/rj45-utp-cable

Mentioned at the 1min mark in this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Zceq02vMA&t=9s

It would be great not to need this though, because I already spent like $100 bucks on the MK3-USB, and it would not be cool to have to turn back around again and buy yet another proprietary cable.

It looks like the lady in the video is not using the Victron RJ45, though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. What a relief it would be just to go to the local computer store and be able to get what I need off the shelf.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ agroventuresperu commented ·

You seem to know everything better than the users that trying to help you, why do you even ask?

VE.bus and VE.Can are normal RJ45 UTP patch cables. Only the Can.bus Typ A and B are special.

0 Likes 0 ·
agroventuresperu avatar image agroventuresperu Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

To confirm if my comprehension is correct

0 Likes 0 ·
nuno-m-g-santos avatar image
nuno-m-g-santos answered ·

Dear agroventuresperu

You could have bought the MK2, that would have come with the cable to link to the inverter.

STILL, the programming cable to connect the MK3 to the inverter is a STANDARD RJ45 UTP cable. This means, a normal cable that can link your computer to your internet router.

You can buy one on your local store if you don't have one spare.

I have both MK2 and MK3, and they work the same way, with simple of-the-shelve cable.

However, you will have to get familiar with the VEconfigure software to accurately define the correct parameters. Pylontech is NOT pre-programmed, although it can be recognized automatically. But, ultimately, YOU should define the ammount of Ah (Ampere-hours) of your installation in the VEconfigure, as well as using the ESS assistant if you must.

I always used the Color Control in my installations, but I'm sure the Cerbo works just as fine if you program it well.

In terms of cabling:

a) proprietary cables are only the VE.direct, that comes with a special socket, hard to find on you computer store

b) Cabling from inverter to Cerbo is standard UTP again.

c) Cabling from Pylontech to Cerbo is a blue type-B (for US2000B) or Type-A (for US2000C, or for US3000), but even so, you can make one of these cabes, because the pin-out is also published in https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:can-bus_bms-cable#introduction .

I have done these cables myself when I forgot to order the cables, or when the original 1,8m proved shorter the installation required (solved with the 5m cable that I buy currently.) You can buy the UTP cable and the RJ45 socket on the on your computer/electrical store, provided you have the correct cramping tool to do so...

Note: I have programmed dozens of Victron installations with Pylontech. I should know the manual by heart. However (and as I also install other systems) I always open the https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom while I am programming a new Victron-Pylontech unit. There is almost always something new to read, and it helps you not to forget anything...

It's written for installers, so, in some parts of the manual, it assumes that you already know what you are doing. If it is your first installation, that link alone is not self-sufficient. You will take a couple of hours figuring it out.

Best regards.

Nuno M. G. Santos

2 |3000

christian-valdivia avatar image
christian-valdivia answered ·

I'm about to put together an ESS using Quattro 8k with US3000C batteries. This is intended to be mounted inside a trailer that will travel dirty roads (trailer is towed by a 4x4 pickup) quite often and I have been suggested to install the batteries inside a standard server rack. Have you had any experience installing an ESS in such conditions? If I were to use a server rack, would I need to leave empty space units between each battery? I should point out the trailer is thermally insulated because outside temperatures range from -20 degrees Celsius (-4ºF) in winter to 15 degrees Celsius (59ºF) in summer. Any advice you can give me will be more than useful.

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
1. ESS is not needed in off-grid installations and is not designed to be used in vehicles.

(but you need a GX device)

2. As far as I know Pylontech batteries are not designed to be installed in vehicles, they are only for stationary use.

0 Likes 0 ·