question

Dosheimer avatar image
Dosheimer asked

LFP Smart Battery 330Ah much smaller than 300Ah?

Hi!

I am just before purchasing a LFP battery bank for my sailboat, but due to limited space I need to know the exact dimensions before.

Now I am wondering that the LFP-Smart 12,8/330 is significantly smaller in size and lower in weight than the 300? Also there are significant, unexpected differences in the max charge and max discharge current. Maybe someone can clarify?
1622243567861.png
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-12,8-&-25,6-Volt-lithium-iron-phosphate-batteries-Smart-EN.pdf

Many thanks to all for your kind support!

Lithium Battery
1622243567861.png (257.7 KiB)
7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Dosheimer avatar image Dosheimer commented ·

300Ah version: 0,347m*0,425m*0,274m = 0,0404m³
330Ah version: 0,265m*0,359m*0,206m = 0,0196m³
conclusion: the 330Ah version is 51% less in volume (and 41% less in weight) compared to the 300Ah version. Maybe a mistake in the datasheet?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Dosheimer commented ·

@Dosheimer

This is from an old datasheet (I guess one of the first):
1622295418702.png

If you compare this with the current datasheet you can see that all batteries are smaller and lighter now.
The 25,6V/200Ah is also available in a new version now.

2 Likes 2 ·
1622295418702.png (256.6 KiB)
Dosheimer avatar image Dosheimer Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

that clearifies it. Thank you for this Matthias!

0 Likes 0 ·
richmaur avatar image richmaur Dosheimer commented ·
Looks to me like the 300Ah battery is good for engine start (600A). Presumably its more robust due the higher I*I*t
0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell richmaur commented ·
@Richmaur This is a 2 year old topic and the 300Ah batteries are no longer available, the 330Ah replaced them.
0 Likes 0 ·
richmaur avatar image richmaur pwfarnell commented ·

The 300Ah battery is still listed on the Victron website and is available from various suppliers.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-12,8-&-25,6-Volt-lithium-iron-phosphate-batteries-Smart-EN.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ richmaur commented ·

Victron has 0 stock in the US or the Netherlands of the 12.8/300Ah battery and no more are being manufactured; any suppliers who still have it available either have very old stock or simply haven't removed that model from their websites yet, as it's been well over a year if not two since that model was discontinued in favor of the smaller and lighter 12.8/330Ah.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Like all the other batteries the 300Ah model is coming in a new enclosure with improved internal design.

The smaller models got the improvements earlier. They where also bigger and heavier.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Dosheimer avatar image Dosheimer commented ·

Hi Matthias,
Thanks for you response. I think you are speaking about the 330Ah and not the 300Ah model? My point is that the 330Ah model is much smaller compared to the 300Ah model.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ Dosheimer commented ·

A few years ago the 200Ah model was also bigger and was twice as heavy.

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I dont know for sure but my guess would be that these are just different battery technologies beings used. and in regards to the differences in charge and load, again different technologies and the smaller battery cant discharge or charge at the same rates.

ie there is a trade off in going smaller. as the in and out rates are lower, this may not affect a lot of people but some it will then you may have to opt for the bigger battery.

2 |3000

svaeolus avatar image
svaeolus answered ·

I suspect it is just the gift of new technology making them smaller and lighter. Like another commenter mentioned, the 200ah battery also went through a similar weight reduction last year. And then were backordered for about 6 months.

From what I could tell, nobody has a competing LiFePO4 battery that offers the watts per kilo that Victron's new model batteries do.

My calculations of amp hours per kilo:

Old Victron 200ah LiFePO4: 4.7 ah/kilo

New ("-a") Victron 200ah LiFEPO4: 10 ah/kilo

New 330 ah Victron: 11 ah/kilo

Battleborn 270 ah 8D: 7.4 ah/kilo

Mastervolt 200 ah: 7.4 ah/kilo

Plus my local dealer offers Victron LiFePO4 batteries for several hundred dollars less than the competition. Victron is a no-brainer best in class option, as long as you are avoiding DIY battery builds...and even then you will come out with less expense but I am guessing much heavier batteries than the Victron option.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic