question

marcel-dijkman avatar image
marcel-dijkman asked

AC-IN multiplus II in ESS

Hi there,

I have a Multiplus II installed in a container unit, the battery is a single 2,5 kWh LiFePo pylontech. Normally the unit is connected to the grid but sometimes the connection is not available on the construction site. I’m running in ESS mode. When testing a high load the CCGX shows ‘high discharge current’ for the battery. My question is: Why isn’t the multi taking any ac-power so that the battery doesn’t go in overload (grid/ac-in is connected)?

Multiplus-IIESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Marcel Dijkman

Have you followed the recommended battery sizing for an ESS system?

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom#minimum_battery_sizing_recommendations

And set up according to instructions?

If not then it is to be expected. Pylons can take 100A discharge but not if you want 10 year life span. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom#the_maximum_charge_and_discharge_current_is_limited_to_25a_but_the_data_sheet_tells_me_the_maximum_is_100a

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marcel-dijkman avatar image marcel-dijkman commented ·

The recommended sizing is for off grid. I have set up a ESS grid connected setup. But why doesn't the grid kick in at all?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Marcel Dijkman

If your grid set point is set lower than your load, then the Victron will take the power from the battery to assist for the load.

The second thing will be the input current limit as well, if this too is set lower than your load then it will pull from the battery.

Both dynamic current limit and power assist are unchecked if the ESS assistant is loaded onto the system. But I cannot imagine why you have loaded ESS if you do not have PV? At least you have not mentioned PV.

1 comment
2 |3000

marcel-dijkman avatar image marcel-dijkman commented ·

I tried a grid set point of 2000W and the input current is set 32A. Still not taking ac from grid. btw I have also solar on the side but that shouldn't have any effect on it I think.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

Have you set up UPS mode ticked to acivate when grid returns it will charge the battery.

You dont need a ESS mode to run to charge from the grid.

I have some installations i have done with ESS turned OFF and run in UPS mode the unit runs on mains when a availble and runs on battery when there is a loss of mains power.

Regards

Rob D

NZ

2 |3000