question

fjferrada avatar image
fjferrada asked

how much load current to configure in VEConfig for Quattro inverter?

I have a 15kVA / 48V Quattro inverter. A bank with 8 200AH batteries, 4 in series, 2 in parallel. In other words, the bank is 48V / 400Ah. I also have a generator that will automatically start when the voltage across the batteries is very low. The supplier of the equipment in my country, Chile, told me that I must configure the inverter to charge with a maximum of 10A, because I have 12 solar panels to charge the system and a SmartSolar 250/100 charge regulator. He tells me that if the generator works and at the same time the charge regulator injects the batteries, the currents will add up and could damage the batteries. I did it like that. The client called me one day saying that he has been running the generator for almost 10 hours (at night) and he cannot raise the voltage of the batteries ... I remembered the configured 10 A load ... My question is: is the above correct? by the local dealer? What options do I have to take advantage of the power of my generator and charge my batteries as quickly as possible, regardless of whether the charge controller is injecting or not? Thank you
charge current limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Jack Peters avatar image
Jack Peters answered ·

Limiting the charge controller to 10A is not the right solution as 90% of the PV system will never work.

To stop the charge current from both generator and charge controller exceeding the maximum charge current of the battery bank, you should use a GX device with DVCC enabled and set the maximum system charge current (and set the MPPT back to 100A). This will limit the MPPT output automatically when the generator is running, and allow it to charge at full capability when the generator is not running.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic