question

hastings avatar image
hastings asked

AGM Spiral Preset for Rolls VRLA AGM

I have 8x 12V Rolls S12 230AGM-RE in two 48V strings charged by 6x300W PV panels via EasySolar 48/5000.

The Victron factory Preset 2 seems fine except for the Absorb Voltage 14.4/57.6 whereas the Rolls user guide gives 14.7/58.8. (Float is same as the Victron Preset 2)

Should I edit the Preset 2 Absorb Voltage to 58.8 or use the Spiral AGM preset?

Is the higher Absorb setting necessary?

Is the Rolls S12 series a spiral AGM?

The Rolls manual also gives 40A for the Charge Current. Should I change the default Preset 2 Charge Current of 100A to 8x40(320)A?

Thanks

AGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mikaeel avatar image
mikaeel answered ·

how did you do it finally?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hastings avatar image
hastings answered ·

@mikaeel

I did raise the absorb voltage to 58.8V.

Two years later I discovered the excellent Rolls support website. They respond within hours and gave me all the correct Multiplus Inverter/charger/SmartSolar settings to use specific to my battery bank.

The Victron Preset 2 (for Victron AGM batteries) was a poor choice due to the short Absorb times produced by Adaptive charge curve setting. It is now set to Charge Curve Fixed (amongst other changes to settings).

If you have Rolls batteries, don't make the mistake I made and try and set things up just using the Rolls battery user guide and this Victron forum excuse for product support. Go open a support ticket at Rolls without delay.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic