question

tcason avatar image
tcason asked

Battery balancer configuration

I have just installed 4 new 12/220 gel batteries in a 24 volt/2 string set up in my barge. The wiring is configured as per victron recommendations with buss bars and midpoint cabling between the two strings. I have a single battery balancer in place also per victron recommended configuration.

With charging in float I am seeing .11 to .14 volt variation between the mid point to positive buss and mid point to negative buss. When I measure the voltages within strings I am also seeing the about the same variation between the 1st and 2nd battery in the string for each string. The balancer is showing "on" but does not appear to be re-balancing given the tolerances in the demo app.

I have read several of the other posts on this topic but I wanted to clarify my understanding about the voltage variation within strings. Should I be concerned about the individual battery variances within the 2 strings and consider a 2 balancer set up or will my current single unit configuration suffice?

Thanks

Tom

Battery Balancer
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ingo avatar image Ingo commented ·

I think you need to wait a couple of days as balancing uses a very small amount of current as opposed to actual charge current. The fact that the orange LED is not on at 110mV-140mV might be due to the accuracy of your meter vs the Balancer. It should light up > 100mV if I remember correctly.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic