question

agroventuresperu avatar image
agroventuresperu asked

Victron Inverter - Pylontech Battery Cable Question

The set of Pylontech cables are rated at 120A. But I'm using 2 sets of these cables for 4 Pylontech US3000 batteries in parallel.. Does that mean the Multiplus inverter should be programmed to only discharge battery bank at a maximum of 120A? Or is it ok to allow a higher discharge rate, since I'm using 2 sets of cables?

My charge rate is limited to 100A, because of the limitations of my SmartSolar MPPT, soIcouldn't charge at a higher rate even if I wanted to.

Ideally i'd like to discharge at Pylontech's recommended max discharge: 37A per battery - which would mean setting the Multiplus max discharge current to 148A. Would the Pylontech cables handle it?

Basically I'm echoing this question as I didn't see an answer to what I'm specifically asking.

https://community.victronenergy.com/comments/41645/view.html

Pylontech
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Normally you can't set a maximum discharge current for the MultiPlus.

In an ESS you can set a maximum Inverter power but this applies only as long as the grid is available.

Without grid the MultiPlus always takes the power from the batteries that is needed to supply the loads.

With two sets of the cables you can use 240A.

What MultiPlus do you have? 147A at 48V are 7kW.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

agroventuresperu avatar image agroventuresperu commented ·

Not able to set max discharge current through VEConfigure? That could be a problem with less battery units, as the BMS would probably limit current to 37A per battery. With just one battery: 48v x 37A = 1776W

That's not even enough for some appliances.

That's an extreme example, but could be problematic even with 4 batteries

0 Likes 0 ·
agroventuresperu avatar image agroventuresperu agroventuresperu commented ·

In my diagram, one set of cables is connected to the bottom slave, the other set is connected to the master. Does the inverter actually draw from the slave? Otherwise 240A wouldn't be possible.

0 Likes 0 ·
agroventuresperu avatar image
agroventuresperu answered ·

I have a 48/5000/70

batteries-to-busbar.png

2 |3000