question

balachai avatar image
balachai asked

Wirebox for Orion 48/24-16?

I've got a wirebox designed for the 100-30 and 100-50 charge controllers, and I'm looking at installing it on an Orion 48/24-16 DC-DC converter. It fits perfectly, except unlike a charge controller, the Orion lacks holes in the rear base plate to which the wirebox plate can be attached.

Any ideas? I could drill holes in the base plate, but I'm wary of damaging components behind. Or perhaps glue the wirebox plate on?

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I would not drill holes in the heatink. Like you say, you'll probably run into the circuit board.
I'm afraid glue is probably the best option. Use a flexible setting type of glue so that you can get at the terminals again if you need to.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

balachai avatar image
balachai answered ·

Thanks wkirby! Any tips for a suitable glue?

2 |3000

balachai avatar image
balachai answered ·

Update: I've found an easy way to attach the wirebox. The wirebox base plate is supplied with holes to clear a bolt on each side of the Orion attaching the Orion's housing to its base.

- Remove those two M3 bolts.

- Place the wirebox base plate in positions.

- Replace those two bolts with longer ones.

- Screw two nuts onto the end of each M3 bolt.

The bolt and nuts have little clearance from the wirebox baseplate so they hold it in place pretty well. The baseplate can "wiggle" a little but still does its job. Attaching the nuts is fiddly - use needle-nose pliers and reverse the bolt a bit where necessary, while attaching the nuts.

2 |3000