question

David Johns avatar image
David Johns asked

Multiplus Compact 12/1600/70 Ethernet Connection

Hi,

I have a Raspberry Pi which I am using with the Venus OS. I currently have my MPPT 150/45 and SmartBMV 712 connected to it and they are providing data without issues using VE.Direct cables.

The problem I am facing is connecting my Multiplus Compact 12/1600/70 to the Pi. I thought this just used one of the ethernet ports inside the Multiplus but when I connected it to my Pi, the inverter turned off with a red error LED. I was initially worried that I had done damage. If this is the port I need to use, then I am really surprised that there isn't an external one to make things easier rather than opening up the inverter and feeding the cable out.

I realise that support for the Venus OS on the Raspberry Pi isn't really covered mainstream, but also the inverter manual does not appear to cover these two ethernet ports, let alone how I can connect anything to them. I find the operators manual severely lacking in some areas, such as connectivity but if it does exist, then no pointers are given as to where to find the information.

Is there anything else I need do? The service engineer here in the UK suggested that I change the switch 2 on the DIP switch bank, maybe, but he doesn 't know much about running with a Pi? Ideally what I would like to do is to monitor things with the connection to the Raspberry Pi and then also perhaps configure the Multiplus through the other port, if that is at all possible.

I'd be really grateful for some pointers so I can get this working without frying my equipment.

David

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerBMV Battery MonitorRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Have to say it! ;o)

The answer, that you need a MK3-USB, is also here in the manual:

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/raspberrypi-install-venus-image

I hope nothing blew up by connecting the VE.Bus port of the inverter/charger to the Ethernet port of the pi.

All the best, Matthijs

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Peter Buijs - NL avatar image
Peter Buijs - NL answered ·

I think you used one of the 2 RJ45 connectors inside the Multi. These are Physically identical to an Ethernet port but in the Victron world these are VEBus connections.

Take a look at a MK3-USB interface to connect to the Pi

3 comments
2 |3000

David Johns avatar image David Johns commented ·

Yes, I thought that too but surely the Mk3-USB adapter is for configuring the Multiplus. Although I may need this as well, I just need to connect it for monitoring. Essentially, it will be the same connection as if you were connecting the Multiplus to a Venus / Cerbo GX or CCGX.

I was told by a UK installation engineer that I can use one of these ports but the inverter turned itself off and errored. I am not going to risk damaging my equipment.

So what you are saying is, that these are NOT ethernet ports but are indeed VE.Bus ports.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem David Johns commented ·

That's correct. The RJ-45 connectors on the Multi is VE.Bus NOT Ethernet.

You need the MK3 USB adapter to monitor/control the Multi on the RPI running Venus.

You'll need VictronConnect or VeConfigure to program the Multi.

0 Likes 0 ·
David Johns avatar image David Johns commented ·

Yes, I thought that too but surely the Mk3-USB adapter is for configuring the Multiplus. Although I may need this as well, I just need to connect it for monitoring. Essentially, it will be the same connection as if you were connecting the Multiplus to a Venus / Cerbo GX or CCGX.

I was told by a UK installation engineer that I can use one of these ports but the inverter turned itself off and errored. I am not going to risk damaging my equipment.

So what you are saying is, that these are NOT ethernet ports but are indeed VE.Bus ports.

0 Likes 0 ·