question

heinvdb avatar image
heinvdb asked

Modbus-TCP register 2701 not working

I have a multiplusII 48/5000 ESS parallel installation with external current sensor and with solar on the AC input (also all the loads are on the input) with firmware version 2.65. The modbus TCP register 2701 does not do anything.

If it is set to 0 or 100, it keeps charging. (I can read out the register)

The Modbus-TCP register 2702 for discharge on/off (100 / 0) does work!

Can anyone confirm this? And maybe this can be solved? Maybe it only works with mppt's?

Is it because of the external current sensor it does not work with me?

Modbus TCP
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

blackmarlin avatar image blackmarlin commented ·

Hello,

is there any update on this topic?

I am facing a similar problem with a multiplus II including battery ESS setup with an PV inverter at AC Out and a Victron MPPT at DC side.

I want to disable the multiplus charger via Modbus register 2701 and therefore disable AC charging the battery if sufficient power from the MPPT DC side is available (via solar forcast).

But writing the register 2701 does not cause any change. I have tried register 2705 which has also no effect (but is also not what I want as it limits the overall charging current (AC+DC) according to my understanding).

Best regards

Michael

0 Likes 0 ·
7 Answers
sebdehne avatar image
sebdehne answered ·

When say firmware 2.65 - you mean VenusOS version right? Try to upgrade to 2.9.

And what firmware you are running on the multiplus?

I have a simular setup as you, and I had to upgrade both multipluses and cerbo gx to make everything work.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

blackmarlin avatar image blackmarlin commented ·
The original post is older but I am on VenusOS version 2.92 and updated the Multiplus to v500 recently. And I see also no effect with modbus register 2701.

Do you also have an ESS system in combination with a battery with BMS connected via CAN? When you set the register 2701 to 0, the Multiplus stops charging excess PV AC power to the battery?

Best regards

Michael

0 Likes 0 ·
sebdehne avatar image
sebdehne answered ·

Yes I am using ESS, but I chose to use mode 3, because of the following limitations for moe1 & 2:

- it is not possible limit charging for a certain max SoC
- mode 1 & 2 do not have the safety-feature to automatically switch to passthrough if you do not update the values within 60 seconds. So if your script dies/crashes, the multiplus will drain your battery.

I have also given up on Modbus-TCP. I tried to ask abour register 2704 here (https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/168029/mqttdbus-mapping-for-maxchargepower-and-maxdischar.html?childToView=168686#answer-168686), but got no response. I think the Modbus-TCP implementation is buggy. It is not possible to write negative -1 for a uint16 type.

What you have to understand is this architecture: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/dbus-api

The Modbus-TCP is just a "bridge" between Modbus-TCP protocol and the internal "dbus". So what you want really want is to manipulate (e.g. write) values to the dbus. I recommend using the MQTT bridge insteaf of Modbus-TCP, because the MQTT bridge is a better implementation.

You see, the MQTT-bridge does not need to map dbus-parameters to special register-numbers and provide a Excel-file to explain the mapping (like Modbus). Instead, the MQTT-bridge basically reads ALL dbus values and mappes those 1:1 to a MQTT-topic. This way, you really get to see everything.

Have you tried changing the value directly on the dbus? Login with SSH and use the command "dbus-spy" and find the value you want to change using the arrow-buttons.

Hope this helps.

2 |3000

blackmarlin avatar image
blackmarlin answered ·

@sebdehne, thanks for you answer.

I have tried it via dbus-spy as suggested. I have found the values there:

Settings/CGwacs/MaxChargePercentage
Settings/CGwacs/MaxChargerPower

If I modify this values via dbus-spy, the new values are accepted, but no change of the system behavior concerning charging is noticeable.

So this seems to be a general problem, not only related to modbus.

How can I get in contact with a victron stuff or get an answer from victron here?

Best regards

Michael

2 |3000

blackmarlin avatar image
blackmarlin answered ·

With DVCC enabled only the modbus register 2705 can be used to limit the system overall charge current. But from my understandig so far it is not possible to disable the charger in the multi directly. This is very suspect to me.

However, my current solution for charging the battery solely with available DC power from the MPPT is:

• Reading the battery current (modbus register 772) from the solar charger (MPPT)
  • Using the read current as DVCC system max charge current (modbus register 2705). Scaling needs to be done

This worked for me with DC feed-in enabled. If DC feed-in is disabled, the value set as "DVCC system max charge current" needs to be probably set a bit larger than the "battery current" to prevent the MPPT from throttling down.

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all,

This was looked into today. With the introduction of DVCC, quite a while ago, register 2701, and 2072, have been deprecated in favour of new registers. At least for those systems that used that new DVCC feature.

Which was perhaps mentioned in the change log of Venus OS back then, but not in the ESS mode 2 and 3 documentation. Fixed now:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:ess_mode_2_and_3

My apologies for this!

Matthijs

ps. if indeed this fixes/explains your issue, please accept this answer: it will help other people running into the same problem. Thanks!

2 comments
2 |3000

johnone avatar image johnone commented ·

If Modbus-TCP-register-list-2.90.xlsx is the latest version, does this want synchronising with the update to 'ESS Mode 2 and 3'? Also, be good if there was a prominent version number and change log for the ESS doc.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ johnone commented ·

You can review the old version using the tools on the top right of the page:

1676468862301.png

Then click on the Old revisions option to reveal the previous versions of the documaents:

1676468776394.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1676468776394.png (29.2 KiB)
1676468862301.png (3.8 KiB)
blackmarlin avatar image
blackmarlin answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy) Thanks for the information. The update of the documentation helps.

But is there any possibility to disable / enable the charger of the multiplus directly via modbus with DVCC enabled (not affecting the MPPTs)? This would be quite helpful for people that have additional AC coupled inverters and try to manage the charging strategy of the battery (charge with AC power only if DC power is not sufficient to charge the battery over the day, based on solar forecast).

Best regards

Michael

2 |3000

johnone avatar image
johnone answered ·

Re the comment on viewing older versions of the manual docs - that's a great example of unusable manual protocol. Instead of industry-standard version labeling and a 'change log' past versions are under an icon! And what about the spreadsheet and doc being out of sync? End result of poorly organised manuals - an endless stream of questions on here which could be dealt with by user-friendly documentation.

2 |3000

Related Resources