question

jjm avatar image
jjm asked

BMV-712 vs Smart Shunt

Hello all,

I wonder what the differences are between the BMV-712 and Smart Shunt.

There is already a post, but it doesn't give the insight.

The Smart Shunt lacks the alarm and relay compared to the BMV-712 and the BMV-712 still gives me the display unit.

That's all I can discover.

So I continue to wonder...

Can the BMV-712 also be connected to the Cerbo GX, like the Smart Shunt?

Does the BMV-712 provide me with the same data via Bluetooth as the Smart Shunt?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Jens

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·
That's all I can discover.

And that's all. The SmartShunt have no audible alarm, no relay and obviously no display.

Both have a VE.direct port to connect to a GX device and both give you the same data via VictronConnect (take a look at the demo library of VictronConnect).

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jjm avatar image jjm commented ·

Thank you very much Matthias,

That help´s, indeed.

:-)

0 Likes 0 ·
David avatar image
David answered ·

If you are connecting the Battery Monitor to a Cerbo but you like the idea of a display, then you could consider the BMV-702 instead of the 712.

You lose the bluetooth, but will it matter if the Cerbo is your main interface? (I very rarely connect to my 712 via bluetooth as find it much more convenient to use Victron Connect via the PC and connect via VRM and the Cerbo GX). You have slightly more draw on the 702 but you save a fair bit of money IF bluetooth doesn't matter.

2 |3000

goon326 avatar image
goon326 answered ·

Is it correct hat the BMV smart shunt doesn't show capacity decrease or increase and the BMV 712 does show this?

img-6152.pngimg-6154.png

img-6152.png (145.8 KiB)
img-6154.png (171.1 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
No, they both show capacity changes. The Demo Product display doesn't give a good indicator of actual operation in this case.
1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic