question

kadir-aras avatar image
kadir-aras asked

Low temp cutoff for Orion Smart and Blue Smart

Hi all!

Having some confusion about the low temp cutoff for protecting my LiFePO4 batteries.

Setup of my future campervan:

200Ah LiFePO4 Leisure battery
Victron Smart MPPT solar charge controller 100/30
Victron Smart Orion DC 2 DC charger 12/12/30 (between car battery and Leisure battery)
Victron Smart Blue IP22 charger 12/30
Victron Smart Monitor BMV-712 with matching temp sensor

My battery has no internal low temp cutoff ability. So I need a workaround. I will mount the temp sensor of the Smart Monitor close to my LiFePO4 battery.

When establishing a Smart Network between the Smart MPPT and the Smart Monitor, I can set a low temp cutoff for my MPPT via the settings in the app, so it won't charge my LiFePO4 batteries when it is freezing cold.

My Questions:

1. Is it possible to add the Smart Orion charger to the smart network, and then use the same low temp cutoff to block the Smart Orion from charging my LiFePO4 leisure battery?

2. Is it possible to add the Smart Blue charger to the smart network, and then use the same low temp cutoff to block the Smart Blue from charging my LiFePO4 leisure battery?

About question 1 I found some information on this forum tread, saying you can use the alarm relay on the back of the Smart Monitor, however it does not explain how exactly to implement this. Should i buy any hardware for that?

Thanks for any help.

temperature
1619226212471.png (1.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
3dtec avatar image
3dtec answered ·

Hi Kadir, I think I found an easy and cheap solution for you.

Question 1: I also didn´t manage to connect the Smart Orion to the Smart Network.

Haven't tried it on the hardware side, but theoretically you can just buy a W1209 temperature controller and set it to Cooler modus so and set the temperature to 5°, so the relay is always on but when it gets under 5° it cuts off, and you can then connect the relay from the W1209 controller to the remote input on the Orion. So should be an easy solution. I can make a video if it works and somebody is also interested.

Greetings Christoph

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic