question

skykay avatar image
skykay asked

Charge limit not working

Hi, I have 2 SmartSolar MPPT VE.Can 250/85 rev2-BMV-712 Smart-MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70-48 and a Cerbo GX with 30kw/h batteries. I want to limit the charge current to the batteries. So I went to settings DVCC-maximum charge current. I selected 50A but the Multiplus is still charging with maximum power. What can I do? Thanks

charge current limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
dgnevans avatar image
dgnevans answered ·

If you are using a combination of Solar Charging and AC charging, you may want to incorporate ESS. The second thing you can do is limit the charge current on the multiplus.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

skykay avatar image
skykay answered ·

What do you mean with incorporate ess? In the ess there is no option of limiting charge power....only inverter power.

2 |3000

dgnevans avatar image
dgnevans answered ·

Maybe the wrong word. look at configuring ESS on your system. AS you are using both AC input and charging as well as Solar through Mppt's.
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Energy_Storage_System/ESS_design_and_installation_manual-en.pdf

the other thing to note is if you have a load on the output. input from the solar as as well an the input from the inverter will increase to ensure that the battery charges at the maximum current. see below extract from the Cerbo GX manual.

8.4.1. Limit charge current This is a user-configurable maximum charge current setting. It works across the whole system. MPPT Solar Chargers are automatically prioritized over the mains/generator. This setting is available in the “Settings → “System Setup” menu on the GX device. Particulars: 1) If a CANBUS-BMS is connected and the BMS requests a maximum charge current that is different from the user-configurable setting, the lower of the two will be used. 2) This mechanism only works for Victron inverter/chargers and Solar chargers. Other chargers, such as Skylla-i’s are not controlled and also their charge current is not taken into account. The same applies for devices that are not connected to the GX device, such as an alternator. Worded differently: the total charge current of the inverter/chargers and all MPPTs will be controlled, nothing else. Any other sources will be extra charge current, unaccounted for. Even when installing a BMV or other battery monitor. 3) DC Loads are not accounted for. Even when a BMV or other battery monitor is installed. For example, with a configured maximum charge current of 50 Amps, and DC Loads drawing 20 Amps, the battery will be charged with 30 Amps. Not with the full allowed 50 Amps. 4) Current drawn from the system by the inverter/charger is compensated for. For example, if 10A is drawn to power AC loads, and the limit is 50A, the system will allow the solar chargers to charge with a maximum of 60 Amps. 5) In all situations, the maximum charge limit configured in a device itself, ie. the Charge current limit set with VictronConnect or VEConfigure for the Solar chargers or Inverter/chargers will still be in effect. An example to illustrate this: in case there is only an Inverter/charger in the system, and in VEConfigure or VictronConnect the charge current is configured to 50 Amps. And on the GX Device, a limit of 100A is configured, then the working limit will be 50 Amps.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic