question

matthew avatar image
matthew asked

Victron / BYD charging from Alternator

Hi,

Looking at a system where one of the sources of charge will be from an alternator on the BYD.

As this will not be through the CCGX,

I purpose using the BMV and the shunt to measure the current from the Alternator charging the batteries. Then use the battery protect to be driven from the Gen start/ Stop relay on the back of the CCGX in order to start and stop the charge based on state of charge.

Has anyone done anything similar? Could also be the case if you install a turbine or any other DC source of charge.

Matt

BYD
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

You'll have to use an 'allow to charge' connection from the BMS to engage the alternator.

I'm not familiar with the BYD batteries, but usually the BMS sends the battery current to the Venus device, so the Venus can calculate how much the other components can put in / pull out of the batteries (use 'has DC system' setting)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

byd-service avatar image
byd-service answered ·

What you are looking at doing is adding the alternator to a complete working system (with CCGX or Venus) or have the system with no CAN communication at all?

The reason why the warranty requires you to run with a Venus or CCGX is because the ´allow to charge´ and ´allow to discharge´ relays will only avert overchage or overdischage risks. However, the Venus and CCGX are capable of understanding all other alarms plus adjust the system currents based on the exact status of each battery cell.

2 |3000

matthew avatar image
matthew answered ·

hi, this will be part of an inverter system with a Mulitplus / CCGX and batteries. One of the sources of charge will be from the Alternator.

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I would sugest turning the alternators Field off and on and not using a BP at all otherwise you may blow the alternators diodes up in you open circuit the alternator.

2 |3000

matthew avatar image
matthew answered ·

If the alternator is not dedicated to the byd but also has the start battery I cannot see this happening as it would not go open circuit? Unless I am misunderstanding?

The alternator is used for purely supplementing the charge.

Matt

2 |3000