question

robertg66 avatar image
robertg66 asked

Suggestion for improvement AC-coupled PV with Fronius PV Inverters manual

Hi,

It took me a few hour to find the problem why the fronius didn't throttle back. I checked and checked the manual multiple times. One key thing is missing. 'Inverter control via Modbus' checkbox should be on. Mine was off and therefore not working.

1613829774435.png Robert

BMV Battery MonitorFronius
1613829774435.png (10.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
enodev avatar image
enodev answered ·

Just got bitten by this as well. Went through ESS and AC PV Victron documentation multiple times, and this switch is not documented anywhere. @mvader (Victron Energy) @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) can somebody please address this?

All the Victron documentation talks about "Setup MG" on the Fronius side, but that apparently only works for Off Grid systems where Multiplus can adjust micro grid frequency, but in ESS system that is grid tied the AC PV throttling must be done via Modbus.

Is my understanding correct?

thanks,

Martin

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lsgv avatar image
lsgv answered ·

The current ESS manual available on the site does not have the detailed information but the version I downloaded a couple of months ago did have it in section 4.3.11

ESS design and installation manual.pdf

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @lsgv @enodev @robertg66,

Thanks for mentioning me - This has me really confused, as I wrote this chapter and was certain it was included, but now also cannot find it.

I am looking into how this has happened, and will re-add it.

Until then - as lsgv has already linked, here is the necessary instructions;

cleanshot-2023-06-11-at-162118-copy.jpg

My apologies for the confusion - and good work figuring out what needed to be done.

2 comments
2 |3000

pedaaa avatar image pedaaa commented ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

if you update fronius AC-Coupling information, please also include this very important information for using Fronius GEN24 models.

To get those to work, you need to enable "Solar API" in the Fronius internal GEN24 settings:

otherwise there is no communication with victron

0 Likes 0 ·

That specific GEN24 info is still available here - https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:fronius#setup_local_area_network_lan_configuration

That document is still required reading, and I won’t be reproducing it entirely within the ESS manual (if anything the specific info that was lost from the ESS manual will go into that one).

0 Likes 0 ·
lsgv avatar image
lsgv answered ·

Another thing I forgot to mention. The manual mentions it but, maybe I'm a distracted reader, didn't register immediately with me.

The "grid feed-in limiting active" is only YES when feed-in limiting is actually working and is NO even if the setting and configuration are correct but there is no PV. I thought, wrongly, that when my configuration was correctly done it would show up as YES and kept seeing a NO so scratched and scratched my head until I carefully read the manual again.

feedin.png

feedin.png (38.9 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

I can see how that could be clarified in the documentation. Thanks, I'll add it when I get the rest back as well.
0 Likes 0 ·